16 || Consider Him

Oui - Jeremih

𓆩𓆪
Evie

"Breathe in." I suck in a breath trying to glance around the doctor's shoulder. He moves the stethoscope down the flank of my back. "And out."

I exhale and he steps away, my sights now directly on my distressed uncle, whose timid behavior hides the anxiety I know he'll show once this guy leaves.

"She's all good, but if anything else comes up with one of your guys, just give me a call."

My uncle nods and shakes his hand on the way out. The second that door closes, his demeanor changes.

"Evie..." he starts but I've already sighed.

"I know, I know. It was stupid of me to bring them to that party." I hop down from the cushioned table and grab my sweater off the chair. "I didn't think it would be that chaotic."

"I don't care how chaotic it was, I care that the five of you were this close to dying." He holds his fingers mere inches apart, and although it's an exaggeration, I can see where he's coming from. "Just imagine what I would have to tell your father if you seriously got hurt."

"Trust me, I'm not ready for the German lecture I'll be getting over the phone," I joke but sigh again at the strained look on his face. "I'm sorry. I know what I promised you...and bringing them to that party went against that."

"It's okay, but those are my guys out there Evie." Pointing towards the door, the caution in his voice makes me realize how much he treats his players like family. Losing one of them would be like losing one of his own. "Please show me that sticking you with them wasn't a bad idea."

"It wasn't." I find myself quick with an answer. I don't know why I say it, but I know that I like these guys. I barely know them, and yet, here I am, telling my uncle that rooming with them wasn't the worst idea ever. "I'll get it under control Uncle Rich, I swear."

"You better." His tone is sharper as he pulls the door open. "You know how important this season is for me."

"I know." I respond back to him and he pulls me into a genuine hug before we turn the corner and meet the rest of them.

"Get home safe kiddo." Are his parting words after a nod to the four in front of us.

I simply smile back at him before approaching them all, whose faces all have the same expression of confusion plastered on them, their eyes trailing the movements of their coach as he walks away. "Are you guys done staring?" I laugh.

Their attention turns to me. "No." They all say in unison.

I only shake my head and smile, walking towards the exit as they follow. "What's the deal between you two anyways? You're always talking to him longer than we are." Aiden questions my actions.

"Don't worry about it." I decide to keep it vague, knowing it's probably killing them all inside.

"Are you sleeping with him?" I hear Matt's voice rasp from behind me before he coughs, and I stop.

"Matt."

"Dude."

"What the fuck." The disgusted look on my face should tell him exactly what my answer to that is. "No."

"It was just a theory." Matt puts his hands up in surrender as we walk, and I almost let the door hit him on the way out after that ridiculous comment.

I tap my phone and note the time. Ten in the morning and this man is already thinking about sex.