11 || Coexist

Gorgeous - Taylor Swift

𓆩♡𓆪
Evie

Of all the outcomes I thought asking my uncle for help would turn out, being roomed with four rowdy hockey men wasn't one of them.

After getting acquainted with my new surroundings I slim that number down to three.

Jordan has been really helpful these past few hours. Moving in was just as awkward as packing half my belongings earlier today, but he eased me into my new environment.

So far it hasn't been that bad. That I can tell.

Although, I haven't really been paying attention to any of the guys since I asked Jordan to bring them all into Alex's room hours ago.

They stand before me and I can hear Reese's voice screaming in the back of my head because I have four of the most desired men on campus all in one room. All ten feet away from me.

"Uhm–I know this situation isn't exactly what anyone wants, but I don't want you guys to feel like I'm invading your space." I start off. "I know your coach threw this on you without warning and I want to apologize."

"Apologize for what?" Jordan crosses his arms and laughs.

"For being a burden, I guess?" I shrug and gently lower myself onto the edge of the mattress, hating how uncomfortable I am.

"A burden?" Aiden blurts out. "You've been here all of two hours Evie." The fact makes all of them laugh a little, me included.

I settle down and focus on why I brought them all in here. "I guess but if you don't mind me asking...I just have one request and then I swear you can continue on like I'm not here."

"Oh...so this is what you called a family meeting for." I hear Mac—or Matt...whatever his name was pipe up from the corner.

I can't figure out if the words family meeting are a joke to make me feel included or I've just infiltrated a bond between these four.

Either way, I try to be indifferent about it. "I know I'm only here for a month but I don't want anyone knowing that I'm staying here." I state my case. "It'd just prompt a lot of questions that I don't want to answer."

I tried to speak direct and clear so that this would be a one and done conversation.

"I uhm...I hope you guys can understand that." My voice suddenly dropped due to the silence I was given.

It was another quiet pause before somebody spoke up. "Yeah, we'll do that and I'll just tell all our teammates when they come over that you're here for what reason?" The guy whose name I think starts with an M asked.

"Matt–" Jordan is cut off by his friend.

"I'm just asking for future reference." The shrug that makes his shoulders drop makes me feel like he's the one who doesn't want me here the most.

But, "He's right." I say. "Let's hope I'm not here when they come over, but if I am I'll just make plans to leave."

The plan is simple. I don't know if it'll work but it's enough to keep me at ease for the next thirty days.

Thirty days I thought would be easy going staying with my uncle, but I was somehow persuaded to live with these four instead.

Maybe persuaded is the wrong word. I'm not sure I'll like being here.

But I don't exactly have any other choice. Literally, I've run out of options.

They all nod at me and it feels like a big wave of relief when they all start to turn around. I would never say it out loud and I hope to god my demeanor doesn't show it, but I feel like a weak mouse stuck in a dog house.