Chapter 10: The Lovely Harold Ward

A few days before New Year's Eve, Harold decided to leave the Chateau Elan Resort, Winery, & Spa, where he had been since returning to America, and venture to the Holiday Inn & Suites

A few days before New Year's Eve, Harold decided to leave the Chateau Elan Resort, Winery, & Spa, where he had been since returning to America, and venture to the Holiday Inn & Suites. It was in Buford. And when he drove up, he looked around the area and nodded in satisfaction at the location. Many nearby restaurants, stores, and the largest shopping mall in the state were at his disposal.

After checking in, he got his large Prada suitcases out of the car before walking over to the valets. There were two of them standing under a large red umbrella attached to a cart with a silver Apple laptop on top and shelves full of jingling car keys.

Upon hearing his approach, one of the young men greeted him with a warm smile.

"Hello, Sir, welcome to the Holiday Inn & Suites. Would you like help with your bags?"

Harold nodded, putting his keys into the other man's hand, and gave him a smile that did not reach his dark eyes.

"All right, be careful with my car, or I'll sue this fine establishment. And that's something I'd hate to do," he warned.

Harold's not-so-subtle threat made Aaron's eyes narrow into slits, and the older man scoffed in disbelief. Harold was not the least bit intimidated. He did come from the business world, an atmosphere where there were far deadlier individuals.

The other bellhop, Eric, shook his head at Aaron in warning, and he took a few deep, calming breaths. He needed to stay professional towards the customers, even if they were obnoxious. But Aaron knew ways around his boss's rule. He could put this asshole in their place.

He cleared his throat.

"Excuse me, sir, but I'll let you know your car will be safe. I am a very competent driver, and I've had very few accidents."

Harold held up his hands in surrender.

"Oh yes, of course, how silly of me to make that assumption," he said, trying to sound friendly but only coming off as insincere, and he glanced at his watch, his eyes widening in surprise. "Anyway, excuse me, I have an important call I cannot afford to miss. Have a pleasant evening, gentlemen."

"All right, have a good rest of your night."

Harold gave him one final look before taking his things into the hotel.

Aaron and the other bellhop, Eric, stared after Harold until he had disappeared. Aaron deflated with a sigh, leaning against the cart and putting his head in his hands. He muttered to himself as Eric raised one of his thick eyebrows in curiosity. Aaron's sudden behavior was out of the ordinary for him.

"Hey, Aaron, are you okay?" Eric asked, his eyes scanning his coworker.

Aaron's gaze was still fixated on the clear, revolving doors before them. Eric rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers in Aaron's face. The noise caused Aaron to turn to Eric, trying to school his features back to normal.