Chapter 5: Explanation

When the couple arrived at Clarisse's house, they saw a bright yellow Maserati at the end of her driveway

When the couple arrived at Clarisse's house, they saw a bright yellow Maserati at the end of her driveway. Joseph gaped at it in surprise. As far as they knew, none of their friends owned a yellow sports car.

"I wonder who this car belongs to," he said, pulling up the driveway and parking.

"I don't know, babe, but I have a feeling we're about to find out," Clarisse replied as they went to the back door.

Clarisse tilted her head to look Joseph in the eye because, even in heels, she was shorter than him. "If we're quiet, we'll catch them by surprise."

Joseph nodded before opening the door so they could peer inside, but they only found a bag of chocolate chip cookies on the counter and an empty, dirty pot on the stove. So they assumed that everyone was in the living room and were proven correct when they heard Camille and Isabelle's voices and a tired-sounding masculine voice.

It had them on high alert and rushing inside, shutting the door before shooting into the living room. Camille's eyes lit up, and she brought them into a group hug. Clarisse returned the embrace, resting her chin on the younger girl's head. Joseph saw Harold watching them with a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

Joseph's gaze narrowed in suspicion.

Clarisse seemed to notice this, too, and grabbed his bicep, squeezing it, and he responded by squeezing her hip. The couple detached from Camille, and Joseph pulled Clarisse into his side, her arm wrapping around his waist.

Joseph and Harold locked eyes briefly before his gaze found the documents on the coffee table. One said, "The Last Will of Lorenzo R. Ricci." He looked away, knowing it wasn't for him. On the other hand, Clarisse wasn't paying attention to the documents.

She glanced at her mother before pointing at Harold.

"Who's this?"

Harold gave her an annoyed look upon seeing her pointing at him. Clarisse, realizing what she was doing, put her hand down.

Camille then turned to her mother, her lip quivering as she asked, "Mamma, I should take them outside to explain all this."

Isabelle waved them off, so Camille grabbed Clarisse and Joseph and dragged them from the room. Her mother looked ready to strangle Mr. Ward. She opened the door to the sunroom and went over to the door leading to the back. Clarisse and Joseph followed, and once they were out, Camille closed the door. They sat around the table as Joseph pulled Clarisse into his lap and put his chin on her shoulder. She snuggled into his chest.

"All right, Camille. Explain what the hell is going on." Joseph's voice was commanding, making Clarisse swat his shoulder.

"Joseph, there's no need to be bossy!"

Joseph adopted a sheepish expression.

"Right....... sorry."

Clarisse kissed him on the cheek before turning to Camille.