Sixteen

Viktor's clothes had no hood. It was still raining, though, so you hunched your shoulders and bowed your head as you turned a corner.

Casually your gaze jumped over your shoulder, back to the shop, Misty's esoterica, which served as a disguise for Vik's clinic.

Somehow you felt bad leaving them all behind. Each one had been so warm and had not hesitated to take you in.

Like a stray.

The thought didn't strike you as completely repulsive. You had to grin. Yes, perhaps in another life you would have been good friends. But your priorities were elsewhere.

Especially duties.

"Shit...", you muttered as a stream of icy rainwater dripped down the back of your neck.

Like a cat in the shower, you froze in place as curse after curse slipped from your lips.

"Not your day, huh?", suddenly asked a deep voice behind you.

There was this smirk audible in the words. If you hadn't liked him so much right away, your fist would have greeted Viktor's face.

You groaned.

"Totally.", you shoved your hands into the pockets. "Whatcha doin'?"

He met you with a thin smile as you turned around.

"Just wanted to keep an eye out for you.", he said with a shrug and held an umbrella above your head. "It be better to keep yourself dry. At least for the next few hours."

Confused by his friendly gesture, you took the umbrella without even a single word of complain. Quite unusual for you, even you had to admit that.

"Aren't you the stalker?", you tried to slip back into your old habit of being a bit snippy but it just made you feel awkward.

He was just so nice, there was no way in hell he deserved to be treated the way you treated people on a day to day basis.

"I know I'm not the exact company you'd prefer.", he started in a kind of unbothered, tired manner as if he had heard it one too many times from others.

"I'd like to have a talk with you, actually.", you cut him off right away. "Just... not on my way home."

Something moved behind his tones glasses. He had left the surgical glove in his clinic. Now you had a good view of his entire arm.

He was well build, with clear veins running across his pale skin. Oddly enough, despite his line of work, he didn't show a single sign of being dirty. Nothing stuck under his nails, no stains or scratches.

Only his clothes were filthy. But that was likely because those were his work clothes and not the ones he wore outside.

Even though they suited him perfectly, in your opinion.

"Hm.", understanding, he nodded. "Big on privacy, I see. No sweat."

"Not exactly.", all of a sudden embarrassment struck you.

Why did you not want him to see where you lived?

Or was it rather who you had to live with?

No, you quickly shook off that thought. This wasn't anyone's fault. Or maybe it was but you refused to blame them.

"Whatever...", you sighed to yourself, earning a raised eyebrow from Vik in return.

"Said somethin'?", he asked.

"No.", you cleared your throat. "I just... I gotta go home. Sorry. But thanks for this."

You pointed at the umbrella.

"Sure.", he didn't seem pleased with the answer, but, just as expected, was too respectful to actually speak up against it. "Just... Listen, sweetheart, I told you if you ever need anythin'..."

The way he called you Sweetheart was soft with a hint of affection but not too much so it easily passed off as a playful nickname rather than anything that could have been picked up as uncomfortable.

Somehow, you liked him calling you that. Even though you never liked to be called by anything but your actual name.

"You'll be there. I know. Thanks, Vik.", you couldn't suppress the smile that the satisfaction on his face caused. "Appreciate it."

For a brief moment his eyes moved behind his glasses. It felt like there was something weighing down on his chest. He just didn't know how to put it into words.

You took it as a sign of good will. He just wanted to make sure you were fine. You just weren't used to people being nice.

Ripper docs at the very least.

Rain poured down on the umbrella as the two of you stepped closer to remain mostly dry and warm.

You could feel how his body shifted as his arms brushed against your shoulder by accident. Now he stood halfway in the rain, the leg of his pants already drenched.

"Scoot closer.", you said and offer the umbrella back so that he could hold it higher up. "You're getting wet."

He stared at your hand. It almost made you feel like he hesitated to come in contact with your skin. But maybe that was just your imagination.

"I should get going.", he said instead. "Since you don't want to be accompanied."

He turned to leave, his head pulled in to avoid the rain just like you had done mere minutes ago. Only looking at him out in the cold made you feel bad.

You didn't even want to turn him away. If it only wouldn't have been so embarrassing to show him how life was for a street kid like you.

He was a goddamn ripper, a pretty decent one too, since he had regular clients and people around Watson seemed to acknowledge his work.

You were nothing against him. Or any of his friends who were all well established people around Night City for one or another reason.

There was no place in his circle for you. Just like there was no place in the proper boxing leagues for an amateur.

"Wait.", you grabbed him by the wirst before he slipped away entirely. "I... how do I say..?"

A deep breath escaped you.

He shook his head.

"I ain't judging you, sweetheart.", he huffed. "Your choice."

"I want to. I really do."

"You don't owe me."

"I feel different about that. It's just... Coast View isn't really something to brag about.", you flashed him a halfhearted smile.

"No need to feel ashamed. Just wanted to make sure you get home safe."

That made you chuckle.

"Life has been a lot for me. But safe ain't one of em', Vik."