Chapter 37

JARED'S POV

"Is he close to breaking?" I asked Dylan as I chugged down my bottle of water, some of it spilling out of the corner of my mouth.

Dylan looked as if he was trying to remain hopeful, but he frowned, shrugging. "I don't know. We need to get the information out of him soon though. The longer Anna is alone with Amelia, the higher risk of her getting severely injured."

I shivered at the thought. That was something I wouldn't allow. We would get the information one way or another. I didn't care how far we had to push.

Wheeling myself back into the front room, Matthew came into view. He was leaning up against the wall staring at Anna's Father with hatred.

"Come to take a turn?" the man taunted, chuckling slightly, his chest moving up and down as he laughed. I wasn't too sure why he thought it was so funny, but I gathered that he was putting up a front to not appear weak.

"I want to know why you do what you do," I muttered, growing increasingly frustrated. "Why do you abuse your daughter? What did she ever do?"

Anna's Father shrugged in response, picking at his nails. "Why does anyone ever do anything? We do things without thinking things through sometimes."

"So you're saying you regret it?" I questioned, my blood thumping inside my veins as I took in his cocky attitude.

"Oh no, I don't regret it," he spoke. "I enjoy power. I like having people fear me. The chase is even more entertaining. I've been looking for her for ages and imagining her being too scared to even make friends makes me laugh. I enjoy the power I have over her even when I haven't seen her for years."

I growled. Talking to him was angering me, but it was necessary. I was hoping he would reveal something about the whereabouts of Anna soon by mistake. Even giving me a lead would help.

"Do you not like power, Jared? Does it not give you a rush?" Anna's Father asked, Matthew shifting in the corner as he studied us.

"I would never lay a hand on a woman," I spat in disgust, shaking my head. Perhaps talking about this wasn't going to help after all. I felt as if I was going to blow my lid.

"I'm sure you're only saying that because you've never tried it."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Matthew grumbled, taking a few steps forwards, shaking his head at Anna's Father.

"Honestly, the scream Anna let out when I-"

I lunged forwards, landing a hard punch to Anna's Father's face, it whipping to the side from the force. My fist throbbed, my knuckle splitting, blood dribbling from it before it quickly healed itself back up.

Anna's Father stood up, and Matthew moved over to grab him by the shoulders, pushing him back down on his chair. He grunted, wiping at his eye that was watering, a few tears leaking out on their own accord.

His face was masked with shock, but he quickly recovered and glared at me, knitting his fingers together. "Well, I wasn't expecting that."

Matthew arched his brow at me, silently checking with me that I was okay. I was calmer after attacking Anna's Father, seeing his blood relaxing me, but I was still on edge. He knew what he was doing. He was playing me. Taunting me.

"Do you feel the power now, Jared?" he questioned, shrugging at me. "Do you feel in control now? It's addictive, isn't it?"

I decided to ignore him. This conversation was going no where. There wasn't much point in continuing it on. It was only getting me worked up.