Chapter 27

JARED'S POV

There was nobody talking back from the other end of the line, and I pulled the phone away from my ear, glaring at the screen in annoyance.

"Hello?" I asked, my voice louder and full of frustration.

"Hello Jared."

I recognised the voice immediately, and I furrowed my brows, a scowl taking over my face instantly.

"How did you get my number?" I snapped, fighting the urge to just hang up, but, I wanted to hear what she had to say for herself. I wanted to understand why she thought she was entitled enough to play with Anna.

"I have my ways," Amelia spoke, her voice silky and borderline flirty. It made me feel sick.

"What was with the letter?" I questioned, pulling Anna closer to me, stroking the top of her head. I knew that she knew who had called me, her wide eyes giving it away. She looked extremely uneasy, but I tried to put her concerns to rest by offering her a reassuring smile.

"Dramatic impact," Amelia chuckled. "You know me. I enjoy putting on a bit of a show."

I shook my head, growling lowly. "Actually Amelia, no, I don't know you. I don't know you at all and I don't want to. I'm warning you now. Leave Anna alone, or I will kill you."

Amelia didn't sound the least bit fazed by my threat, and she released a throaty laugh. "Oh please, you don't have the capability to kill your own mate, Jared."

Her words made my stomach churn, and I huffed, clenching up my fist. "You aren't my mate."

"That's where you're wrong. We were paired together for a reason, and then you went and broke our bond." Amelia's voice sounded animalistic, and I widened my eyes, surprised.

"How do you know about that?" I questioned, grinding my teeth together.

"People talk," Amelia told me, remaining vague on the situation. "You gave up on me, and frankly, it's disappointing, Jared. That pathetic little human isn't going to ruin what we have."

Amelia sounded delusional. I hadn't seen her in years, and as soon as she realised I had moved on, she came back to stamp her claim on me. What was going on inside of her mind?

"Amelia, you're the one that left in the first place. I don't want to speak with you any longer. Leave my mate alone or you will end up without a head." I ended the call, shoving my phone into my pocket and nuzzling my face into Anna's shoulder. I breathed in her scent, allowing myself to calm down.

I hated the fact that Amelia was doing this to us. Anna looked terrified, and it was physically and mentally hurting me. I hated seeing her look so helpless. It wasn't right.

"What did she say?" Anna asked me, knitting her brows together and biting down on her bottom lip.

"The same stuff she said in the letter," I told her, cupping her face. "Nothing new. She won't come close to you though. Don't worry."

I could tell Anna wanted to say more, but she clamped her mouth shut, nodding. It seemed she had given up, because she knew that there was nothing that she could say or do to make the situation disappear. She had to just trust me.

"Come on," I told her, taking her hand. "Let's head home. I'll let Dylan know what's happened."

"What about Gia though?" Anna asked, looking concerned.

"I'll text her too. She'll understand."

We got a cab back to our house. It wasn't far, but I didn't want to risk us walking in case something happened. Anna was quiet most of the journey, only speaking to say 'hello' and 'goodbye' to the cab driver. I noticed how her face dropped as she gazed out the window, looking deeply into the forest in search of anything.