Chapter 18

JARED'S POV

The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could think about them, and Anna looked at me curiously, cocking her head as she waited for me to continue.

Was now the right time?

I felt sick, and I swallowed down my nerves as I thought over what I was about to say. It would be better to show Anna than to tell her, as I knew that she wasn't going to believe me without me actually proving it.

"This is going to sound absolutely crazy, but I'm going to need you to bear with me," I told her, taking a hold of her hand and leaning forwards to peck her lips.

She blushed, nodding, releasing a small sigh. She looked concerned, and I was sure that my expression wasn't much better. I was going to freak her out. I knew I was, but I was just hoping that she wouldn't leave. I couldn't stop her if she did though. I didn't want to make her do anything she didn't want to.

"Jared, what's going on? You're scaring me." Anna's tone was hesitant, and her eyes were a little wider than usual as she looked at me, begging me silently to spit it out.

I blew air out from my mouth, puffing my chest out and sitting more upright in my chair. "Okay, you feel drawn to me, right?"

I was hoping that the answer was yes, and Anna look embarrassed, nodding, biting down on her lip.

"And you have since you first met me? You like my scent and when we touch, you feel sparks?"

Anna nodded again, running her tongue along the front of her teeth, a small smile teasing the corner of her mouth.

"There's a reason for that," I muttered, clicking my neck, moving it from side to side gently. "We are mates."

Anna didn't react, and she furrowed her brows at me, confusion written all over her face. I knew I was going to have to elaborate, but I didn't know how. She was either going to laugh in my face or get up and run and neither of those outcomes were overly appealing.

"Okay, please just stay seated while I explain this to you, okay?" I held my hands out defensively, waiting for Anna to agree before continuing. "I'm part of a pack of wolves, and we have people in this world that we are destined to be with. They are called mates, and you're mine, Anna."

Anna looked at me expressionless before her eyes started to water, and she released a huff, getting to her feet quickly, her chair scraping against the floor harshly.

"Right, so this is just some joke to you? Wow, I'm such an idiot," she spoke, her voice cracking as she laughed at herself in disbelief, moving to step past me.

"No, it's not a joke, Anna. It's never been a joke," I tried to explain, my voice shaky. "Please just let me show you. Let me prove it to you, just please don't go."

"What do you mean prove it to me, Jared?" Anna asked, her voice risen and tears dribbling down her cheeks. She looked distraught as she whirled around quickly to look at me, shaking her head.

"Let me get someone to show you they're a wolf. Please."

"If you're a wolf then show me now," Anna said sarcastically, gesturing to me. "Turn into one right now here in front of me."

I dropped my head, huffing. I was still disabled as a wolf, and I knew that as soon as Anna saw me shift, she would try and run. I would need someone else here to stop her from leaving screaming and crying and shouting about there being a werewolf in the house.

"You can't," Anna spoke, taking another few steps away from me, bumping into the wall behind her, holding out her hands to keep me away from her.

"There's a reason you aren't running out of here though, Anna. Your body doesn't want to leave. Just let me get Clara to show you she can shift. I can too, but I still can't walk as a wolf." I yanked my phone from my pocket, quickly dialling my sister's number and holding my phone up to me ear, praying for her to answer quickly.