five.

POV: Alexandria Colbin

I stepped out of school as the bell rang, taking deep breaths and making my way carefully down the stairs out front.

Don't tic. Don't tic. Don't tic.

I got in trouble during my eighth period for slamming my hand on the table. Everyone was talking anyways, no one cared. But my teacher said that if I do that again, I'll have detention.

Now she's standing out front of the school, staring at me, and the only thing that has been going through my mind for the past 25 minutes is don't. Tic.

I sighed in relief as I saw my sister's car, practically running to it and getting in as fast as possible. I pulled the door shut and glanced out the window, seeing Mrs. Rudgen still glaring at me.

"You okay, Xandri?" Bennett asked me, concern in her gaze.

"Please, just-" I held back the urge to shove my head into the back of my seat. "-drive."

Her eyes widened, and she put the car in Drive, pulling away from the highschool. The second we were out of view of my Study Hall teacher, I gave in to a couple tics, clicking a few times, jerking my head too many times to count, and huffing (which I only do when I'm either suppressing, or insanely nervous).

Bennett gave me a worried look. "Xandri, what's wrong? Just suppression, or...?"

"Ben, I *click* can't really *click* have this conver- *head jerk, whistle* conversation right now." I jerked my head a couple more times, then placed my hand against my neck where it was strained. "Can you pl- *click, click* please distract me?"

"Yeah. Yeah, sorry." She paused for a moment, checking traffic before turning. Why do we have to live so far away?? "Um, I started a new book, called The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. You should read it, it's really good."

Bennett continued on a rant about the author's writing style, as well as key parts of the book that hook your interest. It was such an "English teacher" thing to talk about, but it's the kind of thing I like.

I kept ticcing all throughout the drive, getting more and more tired of suppressing, and therefore less able to do so. By the time we pulled into the driveway, Ben was driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit and checking on me out of the corner of her eye every three seconds.

I immediately noticed that neither Mom's nor Dad's car were in the driveway, and I let out a pained groan. "Call *click, head jerk* Mama, p- *click* please." I got out.

Bennett wasted no time in picking up her phone, dialing Mom's number. "Hello? Yeah-I mean, not really? Can you come home? Tic attack." She sighed. "Yeah. Okay. Okay, see you."

"She's *click* busy?" I whispered, without the energy to do much else, since I was focused on suppressing.

"Yeah. She can't be back for another hour and a half." I whimpered. Mom's the only one who knows how to help. "I know, just... let's go inside." She typed something real quick on her phone before getting out of the car, slinging my bag over her shoulder.

I opened my door and tried to step out, but instead I just ticced, and kicked the glovebox so hard, I think it left a dent.

I felt a hand slide under my arms, lifting me out of the car, and nudging me towards the front door.

ClockworkOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara