Chapter XVI

***
With every fiber of her being she struggled to remain conscious. Yet after a few seconds, her vision faded to black as well. She faintly heard the word, "Goodbye" and then everything went silent.

Her heart plummeted when her vision returned, revealing that she was still alive, but only barely. It felt as though her chest was being crushed by some sort of force.

Shd frantically scanned around, but discovered herself lying in a dark, cold cave with no signs of movement.

Grimacing, she attempted to stand up but the cold stone floor held her in place. That's when she realized that she was paralyzed. Her entire body was immobile, except for her head which was desperately flailing about, trying to find something. And that's when she heard the clink of metal and she finally saw the chains hanging from the walls, forcing her to remain upright.

What has happened to us?

After several minutes of imspecting, her vision began to blur, and she knew that unconsciousness was imminent. She struggled to hold on but her consciousness gradually slipped away.

Suddenly, her eyes were visioning an onslaught of vivid images: her as a child, at home with her grandmother; her as a teenager, laughing with her former friends; playfully shoving Christy, and devouring the hitchiker.

It felt as though she was reliving the moments that led Yurie to becoming this monster, and her stomach sank to the bottom.

Where was she?

It became evident that she wasn't submerged in any body of water, as her arms and legs had unrestricted movement without any hindrance. So why was the presence of air escaping her?

A low, guttural noise reverberated from the rear, prompting her to pivot in its direction. To her complete surprise, what greeted her eyes was a peculiar spectacle: a reflection of herself in the mirror appeared before her.

This reflection sported jet-black messy hair and the haunting amber eyes. It was Elektra struggling to escape from the enigmatic place where they found themselves trapped; their limbs flailed about desperately. But did they even realize that she too existed there with her?

Suddenly, Elektra's futile efforts ceased abruptly as she ominously shifted their focus towards Yurie; with every movement, their bones emitted an audible cracking sound, like twisting the empty wrapper of Doritos. In a raspy voice filled with foreboding, this figure spoke these chilling words, "I'm almost free. Even if you believe you possess control, I shall forever linger in the corners of your thoughts, awaiting the right moment to search for meaning."

Devastation engulfed Yurie as questions swirled within - why had she never been aware all these years about Elektra's unhappiness?

"Did I ever choose to be connected to you? The rush has become my addiction, feeding off you and craving more. To maintain control, I gradually erased your memories, gaining more power," they confessed.

With the very little air in her, Yurie retorted, "No, I'm the one in control. You're just a voice -- a parasite!" Elektra ominously circled her weakened body, striving Yurie to breathe in.

"Innocent Yurie, you were unable to maintain your balance on water. Each night I roamed the streets, eliminating anything that crossed my path. Can't you see? I am slowly sapping away your life force, while simultaneously growing stronger," Elektra mocked.