chapter sixteen

As the hours to the dinner approach, I can feel myself getting more and more anxious. While my Dad pulls into their driveway, I try to wipe my sweaty palms off my tank top, but the crochet material just makes my palms slide right off.

The car brakes to a stop. "Okay," my Dad says, almost singing. "We're here!"

I offer them both a nervous smile, trying to hide my inner turmoil. "Yeah, we're here," I reply, my voice sounding a little shaky even to my own ears. I glance out the window, taking in the sight of the Cameron house, a place that has almost always felt familiar and welcoming to me. But tonight, it's as if I'm stepping into a different world, where secrets and lies threaten to unravel everything.

My mother turns to me with a reassuring pat on my knee. "You okay? It's just the Camerons. You've known them since you were beginning to walk and talk."

I roll my eyes. "Seriously Mom? You always do this. You did this with Aaron too. Of course I'm fine. Why would I be nervous?"

"Okay, okay, jeez!" She exclaims as she shuts the car door. As I step out of the car, I adjust my top and pull my shorts down nervously, trying to compose myself before walking up to the front door. The sound of my Converse on the pavement feels unusually loud, like each step is echoing my inner turmoil.

My hand meets the wood as I knock. I pause with bated breath, waiting for someone to open the door. Please don't be Sarah. Please don't be Sarah. Please don't be Sarah.

The door opens and I am met with a chest. I look up and I see Rafe. His lips part slightly— just enough for me to see, when he sees me at first. I offer him a small smile, not one of love or even friendship, but one of trepidation. As we lock eyes, a shared understanding passes between us, a silent acknowledgment that this is our defining moment. It's the first time where a single slip-up, one wrong word, could unravel everything we've fought so hard to build. The weight of the unspoken truth hangs heavily in the air, and I can feel the intensity of the moment deep within my heart.

It's not easy pretending to like someone when there's so much unresolved tension between us. But we have to act, for the sake of our plan, for the sake of keeping up appearances.

In that fleeting gaze, it's as if time stands still. We both know that we're walking on a tightrope, navigating a precarious path where the truth and the lies are teetering on the edge of collision. I watch his lips twitch into a half-smile.

"Hug me," I whisper so quietly I begin to think he hadn't heard me at first. His eyes flicker down to mine before he's pulling me into him. My face is stuffed in the hard muscles of his chest and I feel so clammy— so claustrophobic. I can't help but notice the faint scent of his cologne mingled with the salty ocean air and the light smell of beer. His familiar scent provides a strange sense of familiarity.

And then Rafe is breaking the spell of the moment. He's pulling out of the hug, looking at my parents and greeting them, smiling and laughing. As I step inside, my heart is racing.

Ward and Rose welcome us warmly, oblivious to the hidden complexities of our relationship. I can see Rose spending several extra seconds admiring me. "Luxie!" Ward exclaims, embracing me like I'm already part of the family. "It's so good to see you again. It's been a while since I've seen you with Sarah. She's always off with that mucky boyfriend of hers."

"His name is Topper, Dad," Rafe says shortly as he rolls his eyes.

"Well, thank you for having us," I say, trying to sound sincere while battling the knots in my stomach.

"Oh, please," Ward says. "You know your parents meet us at least once every month. It's just been a while since it's been both of the families together— we've been meaning for it to happen, but I suppose you two happening—" he points at Rafe and I— "was the perfect reason."