chapter one

"I look horrible, Lux. And don't even try to say differently. I actually look horrible."

"No, you don't." I say. "You look good and you know it."

"What did I just say? Don't even try to say differently."

"Look," I sigh, preparing myself for giving a pep-talk. "What's the worst that can happen?"

She gives me a look. "What's the worst that can happen? It's the first party of the summer and Grayson is going to be there. That's the worst that can happen."

I groan, rolling my head back. "Brie, stop it. You look hot. C'mon. you're practically built like Jessica Rabbit, and your boobs look drool-worthy in that shirt."

She gives me a small smile. "You really think so?"

I laugh, shoving her shoulder. Suddenly, the "pep-talk" atmosphere has vanished. "Don't give me that whole 'innocent girl' act. We both know you want his tongue down your throat, you nasty slut!"

She scoffs, but a grin appears on her face too quickly before a laugh gurgles out her throat. Contagiously, I start laughing at the sight of her.

After we both finally control our laughter, she prods my cheek. "C'mon, Lux. I don't want to be late to the first party of the summer!"

***

Santa Harbor was where the best Kook parties of the summer were held. As the first party of the summer, it was tradition for it to be held at Santa Harbor.

That meant that the whole Kook population of Outer Banks would most likely be here today. Which also meant that today, especially today, you had to look your best.

It was much more important that I looked good today compared to Brie. She was exaggerating— a lot. She already had Grayson wrapped around her finger. In fact, I'd bet a hundred bucks that her and Grayson's clothes would be on the floor by the end of the night.

But for me, today was the day I'd most likely have to face Aaron again, and talk to him.

I haven't talked to him since the split three weeks ago. He'd gone on an impromptu three week trip to Europe, where I presumed he drowned himself with wine, charcuterie boards, and women.

Women.

Aaron Wood loved his women. However he was very picky about them.

They couldn't be tall, and they certainly couldn't be taller than him. He liked thigh gaps, long necks, and slender shoulders. He liked good posture and fruit scented body-mist. You had to be smart. He liked long hair, never short. Because if it was too short, he wouldn't be able to pull it when you had sex. You had to be all ass or all tits. Preferably both, of course.

He was horrible. Absolutely, absolutely horrible, but I was too smitten to see that. Because he was really sweet in the beginning.

I've been trying not to think about him, but I've not been succeeding as of late. Even though I was the one who broke up with him.

"You're doing it again." Brie's voice snaps me back to the present.

"What?" I say.

"You're doing it again," she repeats. "You're thinking about him again."

"No," I breathe out. "No, I'm not."

"Quit the lying," she says as she grabs my wrist. "Look, we're here already. There's no turning back now. And remember, you're the one who broke up with him. There's nothing to be embarrassed about."