24: I'm Strong to the Finish, 'Cuz I Eat My Spinach

Yeah, so, when I got into editing this story and actually making chapter titles I was all like "This is dark and grim and angsty so I should make dark, grim, angsty chapter titles." As you can see, that worked until, like, chapter 20, then I crumbled. I'm so sorry, I've lied to you all. I'm not an angsty author. I'm actually a huge goofball who makes fun of anything. I'm okay if you're so disillusioned you leave. I won't cry.

_________________________________________

He found the two in the kitchen, but wasn't there for long before Lea nudged him in the other direction, giving a pointed look at his bloodied arm and wet dark shirt. Reluctantly, he found the nearest shower, popped in and out, shoved his pants back on (black, so you didn't really notice the blood splatters), and sniffed back to her side. She and Sky were sitting on stools, talking in hushed tones.

"You should eat something," he said. "Does tomato soup with spinach sound appealing?"

The lanky girl goggled at him, but Lea gave him a small smile.

"I can cook for myself," she said.

"Yeah, but—don't make me explain myself. Does it sound good or not? I'm sure this guy has something tomato and spinach in here." He was already opening up the first cupboards. "If not, I'm sure I can find something else that helps with blood production. Spinach is just the best." Damn it, he should have brought some of his supplies along. Not that he could have, having flown out of his apartment after cleaning the mess which was his overdosed neighbor just to get loaded up with teenage girl and mostly dead vampire. Maybe he could pop in sometime in the morning, check on Kimmy and her brother. Speaking of which, what time was it? Would she have time to eat whatever he made her and get to bed before the sun rose? Humans always got the best sleep in the morning hours before dawn.

"You're right. He is weird."

He turned around, a can of Campbell's in hand. "What was that?"

Sky flinched and squirmed, but seemed to quickly get a hold of herself as she lowered her head to her shoulders, like a bull readying to charge.

"I was calling you weird. You have a problem with that?"

"No. Do you want some soup too?"

The girl blinked, returning to gawking. Lea patted her arm, a sympathetic smile on her lips.

"She'd love some. Sky has a stomach like a black hole."

Sky scowled. "Don't tell him that!"

"A healthy appetite is common in adolescence," he said, opening the fridge and wrinkling his nose at the contents. "Nothing to be ashamed of."

"You are so disconnected, dude."

Oh, if only she knew.

He found his spinach in the first drawer he opened and sniffed it cautiously. It wasn't as fresh as he liked, but it would do. He pulled out a jug of milk as well, having already affirmed that Lea wasn't lactose intolerant.

Eventually, the two girls' conversation picked up again, despite his presence, and he got to enjoy listening to their worries about homework and school while he prepped the soup. When it had warmed up and he began stripping the spinach, however, it had turned to something less enjoyable to hear.

"Thanks for calling my mom with an excuse," said Lea.

"Yeah, well it's disgusting that Dad hasn't even noticed I'm missing yet," said Sky sourly.

"Isn't that a good thing? If police got involved with the vampires—"

"Heck, let them. Btw, your mom said not to be out too long." Sky then made a nasty, snide noise. "It's been two days, and that's all she has to say? Don't be out too long."

"I'd rather not talk about this."

Heart twanging a bit at the sound in Lea's voice, Husani wondered if he should hunt down some chocolate too as he slid the bowls across the counter to them. They thanked him, Sky with another suspicious stare.

"Maybe she just trusts you," said Husani offhandedly.

"There's trust, then there's neglect," said Sky while brandishing her spoon. "That being said, I ain't one to talk. My folks are the poster children for bad parenting."

Lea said nothing, her attention to her soup.

Husani felt another painful twinge and shoved down a memory that had attempted to escape the heavy lock and key he'd placed it under.

No need to visit that particular piece of the past.