Chapter Fifteen

WILLIAM ELDRID WAS DEAD. Clove had no idea what she would tell Melanie or Wren. She closed her eyes as she sat on Tigriss's couch beside Finch. The redhead knew Clove took his death personally. "He shouldn't have ever gone on this mission," Clove told her girlfriend, "he was too young."

"He was," Finch said, "but it's not your fault. He didn't die in vain and neither did Finnick."

The two girls rest their heads on one another, Clove felt her eyes grow watery. She cared for the young boy. It was never a good idea to have him join the war even if he was considered old enough to fight in the Games.

Tigriss led the group out of her home and down the hallway. Clove admired her features. How the tattoos on her skin were intricately placed. Tigriss handed Clove, Katniss, Gale, Marvel, and Finch a cloak. Glimmer was to stay behind with Peeta. Marvel feared something would happen to her, so the two previous Hunger Games victors were to stay with Tigriss laying low.

The cloak covered the majority of Clove's face but she could still reach her knives. She could feel the fear radiating off of Finch. "Red, why don't you stay with Glimmer," Clove said, "I'd feel better knowing you're safe."

"I want to stay with you," Finch said. Her red hair peeked out from the hood. "I don't want to lose you."

"You won't," Clove told her before grabbing her face and kissing her. Finch kissed her back hard and Clove nearly lost control of herself. "I have to go," she said as she pulled back, "I love you."

"I love you too," Finch told her before kissing her once again.

The two separated. Clove stood next to Katniss as Marvel said his goodbyes to Glimmer and their unborn child. When Marvel turned around, misty-eyed, he nodded letting them know he was ready.

This is what they had been training for.

They were ready.

...

Cato and Wren walked within the crowd still disguised as peacekeepers. The same announcement went through their ears over and over. The crowd was growing restless as they neared the Capitol. "Additional food, medicine, and clothing with be provided upon arrival."

Wren rolled her eyes. The Capitol is simply trying to gain allies. It's the 76th fucking Hunger Games. She nudged Cato as they neared closer to an entrance. But before they could enter, a rogue individual got up and began firing his hidden weapon. Cato and Wren made a dash for the doors while the real peacekeepers were distracted. They cleared the other peacekeepers and made it past the large steel doors.

They were in.

Wren jumped as they arrived inside. Bombs went off outside the Capitol walls.

She tried to regain her breath as Cato took off his mask. "Come on, we gotta go."

"Where?"

"Anywhere," Cato told her as he grabbed her hand. They dashed in the first direction they could. More bombs went off outside.

Wren looked around as they tried to find any room that could be the control room. Cato's first instinct was the lower level. They made a few turns before finding the familiar hallway in the mansion. The marble slab with the names of the lost tributes stood before them. Their names were on their, family members, and friends. Wren snapped.

Wren took the gun she held and aimed for the stone. As she fired she didn't care about the noise. Cato watched the anger on her face remain. A crack in the stone allowed her to stop herself. Wren breathed heavily as she watched the crack continue to separate the stone. She looked at her husband, "Let's take the Capitol down."