Epilogue

THE RAYS OF SUNSHINE POKED INTO THE SMALL COTTAGE. The yellow beams bounced off of the grey stone. Ivy climbed up the sides to reach any bit of sunlight they could. Pink and white flowers dotted the pine-treed meadows. A gentle breeze pushed the rocking chair a woman sat on. Her long brown hair was caught in the wind. A soft smile was on her face as she laid a hand over her stomach.

A man with a rough blond beard stood at the pond's bank, looking at all of the fish. He pointed at a large white fish as the children beside him giggled. A grin appeared on his face at his children's delight.

"Daddy, look," the little girl pointed, "that one's orange."

Cato Hadley chuckled as he scooped up his son and daughter. Laughter echoed in his ears.

On the porch, Wren laughed lightly as her husband brought over their two kids. She sat up, her hand on her stomach, and braced herself. Cato became alert as she was up.

"How are you feeling, Dollface?" Cato asked as he set down the kids. The two children sprinted off back toward the lake only this time to catch butterflies.

"Same as the other two, slightly sicker, but other than that," Wren told him with a shrug.

Cato wrapped his arm around her, his scars caught her eye. She traced her fingertips over them. Flashbacks of the Games ran through her mind.

"The war is over, baby. Has been for seven years," Cato mumbled before kissing her head.

"I know," Wren choked up, "I just can't help but think of all the good people we lost," she looked at her children. "They fought to bring them peace. The peace we never knew at their age."

"And now they won't have to go through what we did," Cato said. "And besides, we still have some great people with us."

Wren looked at their children again. Her maternal instincts kicked in as she noticed they were too close to the pond. She cupped her hands around her mouth. "William Oliver!" she shouted, "Back away from the pond!"

Cato joined in to scold their daughter, "Ivory Mae you too!"

Both kids turned bright red in the face as they stepped away from the pond. Cato kissed his wife's cheek before running to them.

Wren leaned against the railing and looked down at her stomach. A few kicks caused her to shake her head. "My, my, little Clove, you're going to be a handful, aren't you?"

A sound caught her attention from behind her. When she turned around she was greeted by the faces of Marvel Sandford, Glimmer Sandford, Clove Crossley-Kentwell, Finch Crossley-Kentwell, Peeta Mellark, and Katniss Mellark. A grin spread on her face as she realized that it was her family. "Hi guys," she waved at the group. She was greeted with smiles and 'hellos.'

"Welcome home."

And so Wren Hadley continued to watch the love of her life from the porch of their little cottage. Her friends and their own children soon joined in on the fun. The forest trees that surrounded her reminded her of home each day that passed by. Memories of the Games and war will forever haunt her through scars, but those stories only made her stronger. As she rubbed her stomach she felt herself tear up at the friends she'd made, the people she lost, and the life she created. Within the sea of darkness, she managed to find Cato, create a life worth living, and make the galaxy theirs.

Wren looked up at the sky, no stars were in sight but she knew her father and brother were watching over her. She looked at her chosen family running around the pond, "The stars have guided me home."

...

AN:

THANK YOU for sticking around. I'm so sad it's come to an end but I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. I love you all. Look out for more in the future.

You're kind feedback has meant so much to me 🤍

All the love.

- Brie