Chapter Eight

KATNISS'S VISION WAS BLURRY AND HER NECK FELT AS IF SOMEONE TRIED TO SQUEEZE THE LIFE OUT OF HER. She knew it wasn't Peeta's fault, the Capitol brainwashed him. She blinked a few more times and saw Prim sitting to her left. "H-Hey, little duck," she whispered.

Prim was quick to call in a nurse when she noticed her sister was awake. She stepped out of the way once the nurse began checking Katniss's vitals.

Katniss looked at her. "I-Is he okay?"

"Peeta has been restrained to the table to prevent any more outbursts," Prim told her. "He's also been sedated."

Once the nurse was done taking her vitals she helped the Mockingjay drink water. As her throat felt less scratchy, she felt more confident to talk.

"I have to see him," she said. Her neck brace allowed her minimal movement.

"You need rest," Prim told her.

"No, I need to see Peeta," Katniss said stubbornly.

Prim sighed. "Fine, but someone must accompany you."

Katniss rolled her eyes. Her neck ached but she wasn't going to let it stop her from checking on Peeta, even if he did try to kill her.

Cato appeared at the door with a concerned look on his face. Katniss looked at him, the blond boy seemed fine. As if the recent events hadn't shaken him.

"Cato, are you taking me to see Peeta?" Katniss asked.

Cato cleared his throat, "Yeah. Figured I should take you so you don't get hurt. And I want to see what state he's in. I've been hoping that they haven't done anything like that to my girl," his voice cracked a tad on the last word out of fear.

The two walked slowly toward the room Peeta was being held. Katniss felt her throat ache with every step.

"Hey, Cato," she said nearly whispering due to the pain.

"Hmm?" he glanced at her.

"We're gonna get her back. Tomorrow."

Cato looked at Katniss. "Katniss, you can barely talk."

"We will just be getting her back. We aren't fighting back, not yet."

The blond boy breathed in deeply. They were going to try to get her back tomorrow. They would get her back tomorrow.

"Tomorrow," he confirmed.

When they stopped in front of Peeta's room, the glass was the only thing blocking them. The lights flickered on and Katniss gasped at the sight of him.

Peeta's face was pale. His eyes were sunken in and dull. His hair didn't seem blond anymore, but a pale sandy brown. He was thin. Thinner than before from living in the poorest District.

Katniss placed her hand over her mouth and held back tears.

"What did they do to him?" she asked.

Peeta looked at her and began violently thrashing around in the hospital bed. He screamed. Katniss stepped back.

"Oh my god," she said. "He isn't Peeta anymore."

...

"We leave tomorrow morning. Katniss will speak with a voice-over due to the damage to her throat," Alma said at the round table. "Katniss and the team will go to District Eight. Cato and the others will go to the Capitol through District One."

Marvel paled and Glimmer held his hand. He'd been sober for almost twenty-four hours.

"We've started packing the aircraft to head out," Alma looked at the group. "Bright and early, it's a long trip."