'i'm not a poet'

𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩-
𝘫𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘣𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶

word count - 1075

jenna was driving to your shared apartment from set. a slight hint of worry plagued her head. she had texted you numerous times but not once did you respond. after the fifth text, jenna was speeding home.

"love? i'm home!" jenna shouted. but there was no response. jenna began walking around your shared apartment.

"are you okay?" she checked room after room and still couldn't find you. until she walked in on your frame curled up on the couch.

your hair was sporadic, sprawled against the pillow you rested on. you held a small pillow between your arms as you pressed it against your chest. your soft snores bounced off the walls of the room creating the perfect ambience.

the sunset was peaking through the window shades creating a golden shadow across the couch. you shifted slightly in your sleep, the sun casting a string of light across your face. jenna chuckled, pushing a strand of your hair away from your face.

jenna admired the way your lips were slightly parted, and how your eyelashes danced over your skin. your breathing was rhythmic.

that's when something caught her eye. a small black notebook and pen were found at your side. the brunette was confused, she had never seen this notebook before. she didn't know you even kept a notebook.

she took it in her hands, moving it to the coffee table before turning her attention back to you. she crouched down and her hands traced over the features of your face. your exhales hitting the palm of your hand. she placed a loving kiss on your forehead before turning her attention back to the notebook.

the black leather was warm from the sun and felt like happiness in her hands. as she opened the book and began turning the pages she was met with a comforting sight.

poetry. you had been writing poetry all this time. a smile crept onto her face as she flipped through the pages of your handwriting. there were a few consecutive pages that caught jenna's eye.

pretty brown eyes and a mind full of thoughts

i think you made me fall in love with hugs.
you are quite literally holding me together.

there is nothing more powerful than a woman who is fully aware of everything she deserves

if i had a flower for every time i thought of you and you're cute dimples i'd walk in my garden for an eternity

she smells like love

in the corner of every page you had written a tiny 'j' and wrapped it in a heart. that's how jenna knew she wasn't mistaken, and you had written these for her. a blush appeared on her cheeks and she felt herself unable to stop smiling. and as she kept flipping through what felt like endless pages, she came across more consecutive poems.

a heart that always understands also gets tired

her heart is so large, she doesn't know when to give up on people. even when they don't deserve it.

i stopped explaining myself when i realized people only understand from their level of perception

so many years of education and no one ever taught us how to love ourselves

i feel small but so are stars from a distance

the words were overflowing from the pages. you went as far as to cram your words near the bottom before needing to turn the page. the only difference being these pages were marked with your initial. 

it confused her a bit. how could someone who writes such beautiful, loving words, also write these? how can the same mind that finds the ray of sunshine on a cloudy day also be at peace with the rain?

before long your handwriting came to an end with pages to spare. this was when you began to wake up. your hands flew to your face as you rubbed your eyes. your palm slid down your face, dragging your features with it as your eyes fluttered open. 

your gaze bounced around the room before finally landing on the brunette. she sat near your feet, looking at you with a smile. you smiled back but it soon faded when your eyes trailed down to her hands where you saw your notebook. the notebook you mostly wrote random shit in, the one that contained your everyday thoughts. you were a deep thinker, your mind would travel to unimaginable places the second you were left alone.

your friends have told you numerous times your brain works marvelously. the way you think and what you think of fascinates them. they want to understand your mind but there's one problem. not even you fully understand the thoughts that crowd your head. the marvelous things you share with others are just singular cars in a line of traffic.

there is so much happening in your head all at once it's hard to get your thoughts straight. that's when you had the idea to keep a notebook. not a journal, or diary, but a notebook. because you are quite literally taking note of the things that come to mind.

you pushed yourself up onto your elbows, eyes widening as you saw the black leather in jenna's hands.

"why do you have that?" your eyes met her again. The brunette could tell the gravity of the room was changing.

"you were asleep with it next to you," she replied. her smile never leaving her face. "you never told me you were a poet, y/n" she shuffled closer to you and handed your notebook back.

"i'm not a poet, how much did you read?"  you questioned, unsure if she could comprehend half of what goes through your head a million miles per minute.  you almost snatched the book out of her hands, shoving it under the pillow you were previously asleep on.

"enough to disagree with that statement." still, her smile was never fading. you just stared back at her awkwardly, shock still painted over your features. jenna giggled at your reaction and kept eye contact.

"y/n, do you think my eyes are pretty?" she asked you. proving she had read a significant amount of your notebook. at this point, you couldn't fight the smile from creeping back into your face.

"pretty brown eyes and a mind full of thoughts," you quoted yourself. jenna shuffled even closer to you, now placing herself at your side. you had sat up fully at this point.

"none of them are as interesting as yours." she placed a kiss on your cheek. the two of you still smiling like idiots.

~~~