Chapter 5

AMARA

I'm freezing my butt off coming home.

It's really cold in winter here at BHU. Even if I'm covered with 3 layers and my scarf, I still feel like my north face jacket isn't doing anything to keep me warm.

A mist of steam escapes from my mouth with each exhalation I take. I go to the car park and unlock my jeep. It was a gift, from my grandparents.

I swear it's the best gift ever. I climb in and close the door behind me. I check my mirrors before backtracking and drive away. These three tutoring hours have been the most demanding I have ever endured. I know he was trying his best, but Ethan isn't really bright in History.

I don't even know how he got his scholarship, but I'm sure it's not thanks to school stuff. I bet his daddy paid everything like half the student-athlete party. I don't find that really fair. I had to work my ass off to get a scholarship, and some people like him just get away with it I guess.

Ten minutes later I arrive at Bayview Street. I park my car in front of the building and walk in. I have approximately 15 minutes to get ready and head out to practice. I've been waiting for those volleyball hours since midday, it was really going to get my mind off things.

As I enter our apartment, I meet Jade coming out.

"See you at practice. I'm heading out to the shop beforehand. Do you need anything?" She asks.

"Uhm, can you buy me that face cream I use, you know the one I really like?"

"The one with the blue printout?"

"Yep that's the one". She nods and skips down the stairs. Then I suddenly remember.

"Buy some Orange juice too!" I shout from the hall.  She pops her head from the staircase and shoots me a thumbs up.

Good I won't have to drink bad juice anymore.

Bag in hand, I make my way to the sports arena. Half of the team is already paired up with their pepper buddy, and I can see Hannah waiting up for me gestating me to hurry the fuck up.

I look around the room, and to my greatest surprise, The Himbrey isn't here.

Hannah seems to think what I'm thinking because she stops what she was doing to do a little joy dance.

I tie my shoelaces, put on my kneecaps, tighten my ponytail, and run towards her.

"Never late you are" she says, smashing the ball onto my forearms.

"I'm sorry the blizzard made me late".

Liar.

Truth was, I couldn't find my shoes before going, so I lost five minutes finding them. I bounce the ball on the tip of my fingers, and smash it towards Hannah.

We go on peppering for about ten minutes, when Coach Carter makes us stop and run for a bit.

When we finish, we all go to our spots and start training. I'm a libero, which means I'm basically on the floor all the time. Hannah's a right side hitters. Jade and Monica are setters, Sam, Candace are middles, Margot is an outside hitter. Mikayla, Jess and Sasha are substitutes, but they all play super well. Margot is our captain, but she's leaving in two months, so she'll have to decide whom to give the captain role.