1.7

❝I live in the light/But carry my dark with me

I live in the light/But carry my dark with me.

JOHN MARSDEN

1.7 : riley jenkins

OR

season 4, episode 6 : the instincts (ctd.)

"YOU LOOK NICE."

Fin looks behind her in the mirror and sees Morgan standing in the hallway, leaning against the bathroom doorframe. She grins. "Thanks, although I'm a little insulted you only think I look nice when I wear heels." Technically, they're heeled boots, but still.

"Nah, angel, you look beautiful all the time," Morgan says lazily, crossing his arms across his chest. "Purple's a good color for you." He gestures to her blouse, which today is a dark shade of violet.

"It's one of my favorite colors," Fin replies, straightening her hair in the mirror above the sink. It's not often she puts her hair up completely, but she likes the way it looks today. "I've always loved it."

Morgan chuckles. "Interesting."

"What's your favorite color?" Fin asks him, turning around and leaning against the opposite side of the doorframe.

"Probably blue," he replies thoughtfully. "You know, like navy blue. It's a nice color. Looks good on everybody. Uniform, easy on the eyes."

Fin nods approvingly, then realizes someone is missing. Hotch and JJ are talking to the Bridges about what to look for at the funeral–five-year-old Ethan Hayes, the first boy the unsub took–and Morgan's with her, but Spencer is nowhere to be found.

Morgan seems to read her mind, because he jerks his thumb toward the stairs. "Kid's upstairs. I thought I'd give him some time, after last night."

Last night... Fin knows what Morgan means, she knows he's talking about the nightmare, but for some reason, the first thing that comes to mind is how she held him. The way his hand felt on her hip, his hair between her fingers...

"I'm hoping you two didn't do anything more than cuddle on that sofa," Morgan says, lowering his voice, and he just laughs at the look on Fin's face. "I'm joking, I'm joking! But I caught you, didn't I?" He pokes Fin's cheek, which she's sure must be bright red by now. "You and Pretty Boy have got somethin' going on!"

"We do not!" Fin slaps his hand away, scowling. But even thinking about holding Spencer like that brings the butterflies to life, the way it so often does. She can't deny that something's different, something new and strangely intimate about their relationship.