0.5

❝Hate is too great a burden to bear

Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.

CORETTA SCOTT KING

0.5 : counterterrorism

OR

season 3, episode 20 : lo-fi (ctd.)

MORGAN, JJ, EMILY, AND DETECTIVE COOPER HAVE JOINED THE FORCES ON THE STREET, WHILE ROSSI, SPENCER, FIN, AND DETECTIVE BRUSTIN are sitting, staring red-eyed at the evidence board and drinking increasingly worse coffee. Hotch told Fin this morning she'd be off the street, staying behind with Rossi and Spencer. Fin knows it's probably because of her limited experience, but she can't help thinking it's partially because she pissed him off yesterday.

"Detective..." Rossi turns away from the board, looks over at Brustin. "The Son of Sam-This case still pisses you off like it was yesterday."

Brustin takes off his reading classes, chuckles humorlessly. "Yeah, it does."

"There've been a lot of killers in this city." Rossi shrugs. "Why him?"

"Well, he was laughing at us and we couldn't catch him," Brustin replies. "The only way we grabbed him was through a parking ticket."

Spencer looks over at Rossi, expression thoughtful. "What are you thinking?"

Rossi looks down at the evidence bag in his hand, the one that contains the death card left near the pretzel stand. "He hasn't contacted us again."

"So?" Fin asks, sitting cross-legged on one of the desks, apple in hand. Bagels are great, but less so after two days of nothing but for breakfast.

"This doesn't fit," Rossi says pensively. "These unsubs are organized. They use pre-surveillance. They strike in the heart of the day, and yet they haven't done anything to seek out media attention." He holds up the evidence bag, shaking it slightly. "And then this."

"You said it was to tell you they knew you were here," Brustin says, gesturing to the card.

"Actually, we profiled that he was trying to open a line of communication," Fin replies, swallowing her bite of apple. "That he wanted to incite panic, but if that was really the case-" A frown creeps across her face- "He should've left more cards, written letters, contacted us again."

"After they left their death card, Muhammad and Malvo demanded an ATM card with a million dollars in a bank account just to taunt the police," Spencer adds, nodding slowly. "Berkowitz wrote rambling letters about hunting the city, describing himself as a monster."