29 ❥ All Year Long

It was almost eleven on Friday night

It was almost eleven on Friday night. Another game had come and gone and another win to stash on our record. I had just changed into my pajamas which consisted of boxer shorts and a tank when Valentina's name appeared on my phone screen.

I knew she was at a party with some of the other cheerleaders. It was a common Friday night plan. I answered the phone curiously.

"Yeah, Val?"

"Briarrrrr," she whines into the line. Her voice drags and she giggles a little bit. "I need you, Bee."

"You need me for what?"

"Mmmm," she starts, but then she gets distracted by something or someone around her. "Oh yeah," she remembers me again. "I'm stuck here."

"Where are you?"

"I'm at Mason's house for that victory party he's throwing. Only I think my ride just ditched me to go fool around with her boyfriend. So not cool, am I right?"

"Yes, Val. You are very right," I respond.

"Yes, exactly. You know I really wish you would start coming to these again. I know you would never leave me behind like this. OOOH! He was a lava lamp in his room!"

"In whose room Val? Where are you?" I question a little more urgently now. Valentina is alone and drunk and apparently in a room now all by herself. Or not. "Val, tell me where you are. I'll come for you right now."

"Oh right yes. I need a ride, mhm."

It took me a good five minutes to finally get Val to send me her location. I threw on a jacket, something oversized and baggy to cover up a little, and drove to the house where Val sent me.

I'm outside. I sent the text and anxiously waited for her reply. There were cars lined up in the driveway of the big house. I could see people going in and out. There must have been kids here from other schools as well as ours.

I look at my phone again. Minutes pass by and no little dots appear of her acknowledging my message. I give her a call only to hear the sound of the ring stretching on until I get the automated voicemail.

I turn the keys out of my ignition and take a deep and long breath. I would have to go in there and find her. Even though I haven't been to a party in months. Even though the last party I went to was a shit show of disaster. I swore off parties for the rest of my high school career and yet here I was again.

In and out, Briar. Just find Val and take her home. Then you go back home by yourself. I take one more breath for confidence before getting out of the car and walking to the door.

The door opens just in time for me to walk through it when someone leaves. I'm hit with the party air immediately as I make it through the threshold. People are everywhere.

I look around already searching for my best friend. I assume she would be upstairs but I still take a sweep of what's going on here. I don't want to miss her just in case she came this way.