sixteen

Mila did have to lie to her sister about where she was going that evening. It took a lot to lie to Raven, and Mila always felt horrible about it. She hated hiding the fact she was dating Takashi behind her sister's back. Raven told her not get with him, but Mila found him too interesting to not get involved. He was someone that Mila never met and when she looked at him, she thought she felt the spark that Raven spoke about.

But as Mila walked to the casino where Takashi told her to meet him, Mila saw Sean at the payphone. That spark returned when they locked eyes for a second time. Mila approached Sean, wondering what he was doing in this neighborhood, and near Han's car too.

"You really need to stop following me around." Sean said jokingly.

Mila let out a laugh, shaking her head. "I should be saying that to you." Mila pointed out. "What are you doing here?" She questioned.

"I thought I'd stop by and ask your boyfriend for some drifting lessons." Sean said.

Mila scratched at her cheek. "Sean, trust me, you really don't want to be part of this world." Knowing what she knew, knowing what Ravenna and Han went through, something like this was only going to get Sean in trouble with the law. Drifting wasn't something that came to a person easily, hell, it took Mila six months before she could drift properly and that was with Raven and Han as her teachers.

"It's good enough for you." Sean pointed out.

Mila's smile fell. "Well, I have more connections with the racing world than you'd believe, Sean." Mila said honestly. "Besides, you don't know anything about me." Mila got closer to Sean.

"Why don't you think I know? 'Cause I'm a gaijin? An outsider?" Sean questioned.

"Well, one: gaijin actually means foreigner, so use it correctly and two: you don't know anything about me outside of what I already told you." Mila crossed her arms.

Sean smiled. "Let me guess," Mila wanted to hear this. "Sure, you told me your sister moved you here, but you're just an army brat ho moved around a lot, settling down in the DR before comin' here. Your mama and daddy was never home." Mila's face fell, she looked away from Sean. "So you walked around pissed off all the time." Sean said.

Mila was trying her hardest not to cry.

"And now you found your family with these drift nuts."

Mila shook her head. "You know what, cowboy, you're wrong," she held up one finger, "you're wrong," two fingers, "and lastly, you're wrong." Mila moved around Sean, seeing Han coming out of the casino. "Don't tell Raven."

Han wasn't going to tell Raven anything about Mila and Takashi, that was all on her. But Han saw right away that Sean took interest in Mila, "Why can't you go find a nice Japanese girl like the rest of the white guys around here?" Han asked. "Stop making those eyes on my sister-in-law, okay?" Han shook his head as he got into the car.

"Sister-in-" Sean quickly got into the car. "She's your sister-in-law? How?"

"Just drive."

-

Ravenna sat at one of the tables, drinking a beer with a few friends of hers. They were talking amongst themselves while they waited for their other guests to arrive. Ravenna was waiting on Han to come back from running his errands. She was more playing with the beer bottle than actually drinking it, but that's another story. "You good?" Her male friend asked.

Ravenna looked up, nodding her head. "Just tired." She shrugged. "Long day." Ravenna actually decided to get up from the table with the bottle of beer. She walked over to the railing, looking over all the cars and the bikes that were sitting around the garage. She smiled at them, knowing this was the life she wanted to live. As Ravenna stood there, she heard the door open from the lounge. She looked in that direction, seeing a teenage boy coming forward.