Chapter 1

It's the connection we can't explain.
   -unknown.

I walk as fast as my legs will take me. I overslept again and on top of that I am doing the night shift at the hotel. I work as the receptionist and I hate every single minute of if. Honestly, I don't know what I am even doing with my life at this point. I am just kind of going with the flow right now and as long as I am earning, I guess I am okay.

I reach the hotel and dash towards the staff changing room to change into my uniform. I almost cry when I start wearing my work clothes. I can't believe I am still struggling so hard. After dropping from college, I just grabbed the first job I could find. Due to my mental health, I had completely neglected my studies to the point where I had to leave. It was really bad and it was not easy at all for me.

But don't worry, I will wing it through life and I will definitely resume my studies once I feel stable.

"Be positive Nya", I tell myself while I head towards the reception.  "And the universe shall make a miracle happen for you."

I start working immediately, talking and smiling at customers with a fake happy voice and a fake smile. I hate that I have be this way. But I have to do anything to get the money. My mother did not called me today and I didn't either. I was so tired. I just took a bath and slept and eventually I overslept, resulting me being late for work.

Thank God, the manager didn't noticed my tardiness or else he would have gave me an earful.

I keep getting calls for reservations and by the time I am done, I am dog tired. I forgot to eat as well before leaving and now my stomach is grumbling like crazy.

"Hey Nya", Chloe says happily as she leans on the counter. "Brought food for you."

"You're a lifesaver", I say in a grateful tone. "I am famish."

"I knew it", she says as she hands me the box of food.

I sit and hide behind the reception and gobble down the food quickly. The food is tasty like always. Chloe works in the kitchen and she always brings me food or desserts when she comes to meet me.

"Woah easy there tiger", she laughs. "Don't choke. You overslept today as well , didn't you?"

I nod while eating.

"You should take care of yourself darling", she admonishes in her thick southern accent. "You're too young to have these worried lines on your forehead."

Chloe is five years older than me and she behaves as if she's my mom sometimes. We got along as soon as I start working here and I am always grateful to have her. She is a good friend plus she brings me food almost every day.

"Well wow", she drawls suddenly. "That is a very handsome man."

I make as if I don't hear her and keep on eating. Knowing her, she will try to do something like start a conversation with the stranger or try to set me up. In her opinion, I should live life which I never do. She oftens calls me a babushka.

"Look at him Nya", she chirps with excitement.

"My food looks better", I drawl and take another big bite.

"Such a spoilsport", she rolls her eyes and straighthes herself. "Well, mommy has to go back to work. You better finish your food young lady."

I give her a flying kiss and she leaves. I stop eating when I hear a deep voice. I wipe my mouth and get up quickly. My eyes remain stuck on the man's face and I feel a drop in my stomach.

Must be because of the food, I tell myself internally.

"I have a reservation", he says in a smooth tone. "Christian Romano."