Interlude: Vokkra Viktor

Draft #1

I don't really know how to start this. I suppose the reason I decided to keep a record of what's going on stems from Vok'Rul's fascination with it. He writes in his little document 24/7. I swear, it's like he's writing a book or something! He's under the Need right now... guess I just want to keep a journal of sorts for him to read when he gets back.

Plus, if I die, it'd be a cool autobiography. 

***

The moment Vok'Rul stumbled out of the hatchery, leaning on Thruul in such a way that he'd never do in public, Viktor knew he had been taken by the Need.

He didn't really understand it if he were honest. What made it so they reverted back to their primal nature? The Spirits, probably, but that didn't really explain much.

Though, he supposed, the Spirits were an explanation all their own.

The words tumbled out of his mouth before he even really knew what he was saying, "I, Lord Kohgrash, do so invoke my right as Lord to act as Vokkra until the next Competition," Viktor's heart leaped into his throat at the thought. That was ten years away! "or until Vokkra Rulshkka returns to his senses."

There was no swell of energy that he had half-expected, no bright flash of light, no singing angels, but he thought he felt the barest twinges of recognition and acknowledgment in the back of his mind before it vanished without a trace. Still, he had said it in front of witnesses, and that's all that really mattered. At least, that's what Vok'Rul had told him.

Vok'Rul's eyes grew wide and he started to snarl at the guards stationed outside of the nursery. Vaguely alarmed, Viktor took a step forward, ready to do... something. He wasn't sure if he'd be able to stop the raging Vokkra from protecting his egg, but he'd certainly try.

The egg... Viktor didn't know much about Vokkrus eggs - hell, he hadn't even seen one before now - but he was pretty damn sure that Vok'Rul and Thruul's egg was the prettiest. He already felt a rush of affection for the little thing.

Vok'Rul clutched it with an intensity that made Viktor believe it would crack any second now, but before the alien could lunge forward to knock the guards off their feet, he froze. In a weird sort of trance, Vok'Rul started walking toward the exit. Thruul and Viktor hurried after him.

"What's all that about?" Viktor asked, a little breathless as he tried to keep up with the alien's long strides. You'd think after almost three years on this planet, he'd be used to walking in stride with these giants. You'd think wrong.

"I haven't a clue," Thruul replied, sounding giddy. "Come on, Kohgrash!"

Viktor ended up having to run back to the car - both Vok'Rul and Thruul beat him to it. It wasn't his fault he had little legs.

It was like Vok'Rul had teleported there. By the time he got into the car, waving briefly to Bhrak, wheezing and groaning, the alien had settled into the seat, cradling the egg protectively. Viktor barely got the chance to look at it before Thruul gave the order to head home.

Vok'Rul's eyes were blank and glassy, and if he were honest, kinda freaked Viktor out. Thruul and he just started to talk about the possibility of poking him when the alien jolted forward, muttered a confused "thank you," and went from dead-eyed to eyeing them both with suspicion.

"It's beautiful, Rul," Thruul said sappily. Viktor nodded, glancing at the egg.

Slowly, Thruul reached out to touch it. Viktor bit his tongue at the automatic "be careful" that wanted to squeak out. From what he's read about the Need, it seemed that whoever was under would be less than happy about someone else touching their egg. And considering how feral Vok'Rul looked, even he wasn't stupid enough to chance that.