Chapter 4 - Company and Why It Is Not

Draft #26 - Company and Why It is Not

I have learned throughout my life that company is the greatest gift I can receive. Most Vokkrus are solitary creatures, and I am no exception - I do enjoy the occasional day to myself, after all - but whenever someone whose presence I enjoy deigns to visit me, I get indescribably overjoyed. My friends are my family, and I adore them.

***

The first time he had lain eyes on Thruul had been the day he had won the title of Vokkra.

Battered, bruised, but no less regal and put-together, Rulshkka had been escorted from the Pit with the cheers and shrieks of his - his - people thundering in his ears. His body was heaving for air, thrumming with the leftover excitement and bloodlust from defeating his opponents, from defeating the Vokkra.

Previous Vokkra, Rulshkka thought, delighted. He was the Vokkra, now!

"Glory to Vokkra Rulshkka!" the announcer screamed, eliciting howls of praise from the crowd.

His mother held nothing but praise for him, casting looks at Rukka, as though she wished it were his sister in his place instead. Still, tremulous and exhausted, Rulshkka basked in the warmth of her words, teeth bared in a victorious snarl. It was all he had ever wanted when he had been younger, and now that had it in his claws, it felt sweet.

The first thing he did upon leaving the Pit, aside from getting away from his mother, had been to wash off all the blood and sand from his person. It was still warm. It was starting to dry underneath his claws, flaking and cracking on his fingers. Vokkra's blood.

No, he reminded himself. He was the Vokkra, now. And he was going to do it right.

The Vokkrus who handled the transition between Vokkras - a group of elderly Vokkrus who looked like they had seen at least five Vokkra transitions - started loading him with information as soon as he had cleansed himself.

"As we speak, Your Highness-" Rulshkka felt giddy; Your Highness! "-the staff in your new home is removing Bffghraah's belongings. Should you have anything you wish to move into the estate, please let the head of staff, Krroal, know. He shall be introduced to you shortly."

"Yes," another of the elderly Vokkrus said, opening the door to the car and bowing low as he stepped aside for Rulshkka to move in. "We are setting up the parade in your honor, which will occur in seven days. The Council will be there to guide you into your new role, Your Highness, but it is recommended that you have a close advisor to carry out actions on your behalf. Bffghraah had Sir Torren acting in his stead; we highly recommend him for you."

Overwhelmed and still high on the thrill of becoming Vokkra, Rulshkka said nothing. He realized, with some sort of dawning horror, that he really had no clue how to lead a planet.

"If I may, Your Majesty," another said. "If you have a mate or hatchlings, they can stay with you in your estate. Their safety is guaranteed."

"No, I-," Rulshkka said, voice cracking. He quickly cleared his throat. "No, I do not have... a mate. Or hatchlings."

The Vokkrus all nodded, looking somewhat pleased. Rulshkka supposed that mates were nothing but a distraction to them.

The Vokkra estate was large, much larger than Rulshkka had ever seen before. The grounds were sprawling with trees and grass, but not much else. It looked just as bland as the rest of the planet, and yet, it had some sort of thrall.

The doors opened for him, despite his outstretched claws to do it himself. Rulshkka quickly dropped his hand, straightening his posture as he stepped into the manor.