Chapter 2 - Technology

Draft #7 - Technology 

...and I believe that I may not understand that. Ever. In my entire lifetime. It is simply too complicated. What was it that Kohgrash said? Something about 'magic.' He told me most of my planet's technology was way beyond the scope of his, and yet, when I went to his planet, I looked like a fool! Frankly, I'm not sure what magic is, either, but I bet it is just as complicated and mysterious as technology. The only thing I can manage is making calls on it or perhaps searching the wire. Rukka teases me relentlessly for it, but I see no shame in my shortcomings. If there is anything that I will not excel at, it is mastering the unnatural phenomenon of technology. 

***

The phone rested dormant in his hand. The screen was switched off, and Rulshkka could see his tired eyes staring back at him. He glared at them. He looked and looked until he forgot what he was looking for. 

"My lord," Thruul's gentle claws landed on his shoulder. He jerked out of his sullen reverie and looked up with a small, false smile. His beloved's face was colored with concern and slight pity. The look left a sour taste on his tongue. He didn't need anyone's pity, and certainly not Thruul's. 

"I'm fine," he dismissed. Rulshkka was excellent at that. Pushing his feelings down, down, down, until they didn't matter anymore - until he couldn't feel them. It was how he survived his mother for the first two hundred years of his life. He had been lucky in having a hatchmate - Rukka was truly a gift from the Spirits themselves. 

However, it seemed that, no matter how he tried, he couldn't stamp out this incessant... sadness that encapsulated him. It had been five months.

Thruul made a noise of disagreement but thankfully didn't voice any protests. It was only until the other Vokkrus retracted his claws and pushed a plate across his desk that Rulshkka realized he had completely missed lunch and supper. He gave a breathy, awkward chuckle, glancing at his cook for a second before picking up the closest slice of meat. "Pretty late, isn't it?"

"Quite," Thruul murmured, displeased. He walked around the desk, and Rulshkka opened his mouth to warn him that Kohgrash was likely sitting somewhere on the floor and to be careful. He closed his mouth with a crack. "What were you staring so intently at?" Thruul asked him, gesturing vaguely to his phone. 

"I don't know," Rulshkka sighed, brushing his claws against the sides of it. He truly didn't. He had thought about calling Rukka, for the sake of company, but she would likely speak of nothing other than his duties as Vokkra. The next Competition was five years away, and she was already starting to fret about all the little details that went into it. 

Not to mention, the feeble alliance he had managed to make with the humans and their planet needed upkeep. Monthly visits to Earth from his galactic ambassadors required arrangement, and specifically, those chosen needed to be without bias. There weren't many who fit those qualifications. It was migraine-inducing. 

And that wasn't even mentioning introducing humans to the Local Group Galactic Alliance. Rulshkka was trying to hold that off as long as he could. He desperately wanted Kohgrash to tag along. 

The human wasn't allowed off the Earth until he was an adult, and even after that, not until he had gotten a 'university' education. Frankly, Rulshkka had little idea what a university was, but when he had seen Kohgrash's dismayed face upon his sire's words, he could guess it wasn't that enjoyable. Threatening Kohgrash's sire - despite their tentative alliance - had little effect other than making both of the humans irritated at him. 

Rulshkka couldn't help it, though! He was protective of Kohgrash. Sire or not, Oss-Kar would not be allowed to threaten harm to Kohgrash while he was present.