CHAPTER 70

Aidan's POV

The knock on the door makes me raise my head from the paperwork in front of me. I didn't go home last night and I wonder if it is Anna. I am used to her show of concern, even though I keep telling her it is unnecessary.

At first, anytime I see her waiting up for me whenever I close from work late, it puts me off but now I like the fact that she waits up for me sometimes. But these past few days, she barely does that and I think it's because of the baby. My precious gem, Lily.

It felt like a dream the day she came to the world. Even though I was expecting her to give me a male child, I fell in love with Lily at first sight. She has my blue ocean-sharp eyes and I love everything about her. I made a vow to protect her with everything in my power. 

That day, I felt a soft spot for Anna and I appreciated her for giving me Lily, one of the best gifts ever.

To show her my gratitude, I accompanied her to the graduation ceremony the second day after Lily's birth. I stayed in the car all through with Lily and the nanny. I didn't want us to be seen together and I still don't want it.

I want a quiet divorce with Anna when the time comes. I don't want things to get messy with the media when they know we are married and about to be divorced. At this point in my life, I don't want anything to ruin my image in the business world. I am still enjoying the privilege of the award.

The second knock on the door pulls me out of my reverie. "Come in", I say sharply.

The door opens and Chloe comes in with a file. I am a bit disappointed that it isn't Anna. I have been feeling this way ever since the last time she stopped waiting for me. I always arrive home with the expectation of meeting her in the living room as usual, in her night robe, waiting for me to come home before she goes to bed. 

That show of affection makes me feel bad for wanting to punish her for her mother's mistakes and for pushing her away whenever she tries to talk to me like a wife should.

"Here is the file you asked me to work on, sir", she places the file on the desk when she is close enough.

I nod in response and dismissal but she is still standing. I gaze up at her. Her hands are clasped forward in front of her and her head is bent.

"What is it, Chloe?" I ask, wondering what is up with her. I have no idea why Chloe still feels uncomfortable with me, even now that I try to relate with my staff more than often. 

Staying with Anna for almost a year taught me that. The maids in the house loved Anna because of how cheerful she is with everyone and I envy her sometimes for the kind of free being she is. I envy her whenever I see her chatting and laughing with our domestic staff at home. I tried doing the same thing with them but I always end up barking orders at them and before I know it, they will scurry away in tears.

I tried doing the same at work. I remember the day Chloe and I laughed at one of my clients that I called a clown.

I smile in remembrance.

"There is someone here to see you, sir. She is someone you have warned us never to let in here again but I have no idea how she got in....."