Chapter 20

Noah paced along the sidewalk, aware of Mark and Benjamin's eyes on him. They were afraid he would barge into the club. They had the right to, Noah thought. If Harvey wasn't back in a few minutes, he was going in there, consequences be damned.

After Lillian went down the sub-basement, they all improvised a quick plan to get inside the club without drawing attention.

Noah was sick with worry. The reasonable side of him knew that going in there alone would amount to nothing. But his wolf was far from reason at the moment. All he knew was that his mate was surrounded by enemies. And if those bastards knew with whom she was working, they would slit her throat.

Now, Benjamin, Mark, Noah and the four warriors were stationed a small distance away from the club. The surrounding area was filled with deserted buildings, warehouses and industrial structures. The street lights were few and far between, offering plenty of shadows to hide in.

Rain drizzled down, the droplets doing nothing to cool Noah's temper. Harvey had told them to wait and not to move in without him. Noah clenched and unclenched his hands. Where was Harvey?

"Any news on Harvey?" Noah asked.

"Not yet," Benjamin replied.

Noah resumed his pacing. Amanda and a couple of vampires they'd called from out of town stayed behind in the house. She was still in contact with Lillian. Benjamin checked with her on the phone every few minutes since Noah kept growling at her.

Right then, Benjamin put his fingers over the wireless earphone in his ear. His brows furrowed and his lips pressed into a tight line. Noah's blood ran cold. "What is it?"

Benjamin looked at Noah, his face caught in a horrified expression. Noah was in the other alpha's face in a second, repeating his question through a growl. "What.is.it?"

"Harvey," Benjamin said too quickly. "Harvey is coming."

Before Noah could call his friend on his bullshit, a vehicle sped down the street and stopped right next to them. Harvey walked out, followed by a man Noah had not expected to see.

"Is that Arthur?" Mark murmured in shock.

The man walking beside Harvey wore a simple white t-shirt, cargo pants and boots. His dark hair was pushed back from his face, his trimmed beard longer than the last time Noah had seen him, six months ago. His skin was a healthy golden shade born from being under the sun, and his features were sharp and handsome. His towering height and impressive build put the three alphas to shame.

His smell wasn't that of a vampire, but it wasn't that of a human either. Noah knew that Arthur cloaked his aura and scent in a way. Six months ago, he'd fought beside the man and had witnessed moments when Arthur's cloak slipped. Arthur was nothing as mundane as a vampire. He was something else. Darker, stronger, something more than a mere vampire. He was one of the Five, an original immortal who ruled over the vampire population.

Next to Harvey, impeccably dressed in a three piece suit, Arthur should've been unremarkable. But overlooking Arthur was like ignoring a roaring dragon, impossible and foolish.

Arthur's black gaze caught each one of the wolves in the eyes. The impact was disconcerting, just as Noah remembered. And although the vampire's gaze didn't linger, Noah felt stripped to the bone.

Benjamin, Mark and their warriors froze. Predators who were aware they were no longer at the top of the food chain. Wolves who realized they might turn into prey.

Arthur's magic was a powerful vacuum, threatening to consume anything it came in contact with.

"Noah. A pleasure to see you again so soon." Arthur's voice dropped the temperature of the air. The wolves next to Noah turned impossibly rigid. Only a being of Arthur's age would refer to six months as soon.