Spring Cleaning

Paradise. That's what you called the beachside your grandma's cottage bordered. It used to have another name, but you forgot it. A rich man by the name of Gavin bought all the cottages, except for your grandma's, a few years ago and renamed the beach after his little resort. You refused to call it by that hoity-toity tourist trap of a name.

You only remembered his name because he built a little store in town and named it after himself. "Your one stop shop for all your beach vacation needs!" It advertised. It was good to know there was somewhere within walking distance in case you ran out of something essential and time-sensitive like aloe vera.

You counted the cottages as you passed them by in the car your mom let you borrow. Your grandma's cottage was the sixth one down the lane, although the numbering of the cottages skipped hers because it wasn't part of the resort. It was hard to miss. It was painted robin's egg blue with white trim. Plus, it was the only one with a mailbox.

It was just as you remembered it. You parked your car in the short driveway. There would be enough room for both your and Jenny's cars, but just barely.

The heat of the gravel and asphalt permeated through your flip flops as you stepped out of the driver's seat. You closed your eyes and inhaled deeply, taking in the ocean air. It had been years since it filled your lungs. The smell of low tide had just started wafting in, but you took comfort in it. It was like a hug from the inside.

Grandma always smelt of the sea, you remembered sorrowfully. Then you smiled to yourself, blinked away the tears just starting to form, and slammed the car door. Now wasn't the time to get all sentimental.

Right now you needed to clean up the cottage before Jenny arrived. There was several years-worth of dust and sand waiting for you inside. On the beachside, sand tended to creep in whenever and wherever it could.

You grabbed the vacuum cleaner, broom, and duster from the trunk before climbing up the front porch. To the right of the door was a clothesline where you could hang towels and swimming suits out to dry. Your childhood swimming suit still hung from it.

Trying to unlock the rusty lock with your arms full was a trial. With enough shoulder slams, the door loosened and swung open, making way for you to almost faceplant into the kitchen.

There was no better place to start. The fridge had already been cleaned out, but the cabinets were still brimming with expired canned goods.

You turned on some tunes on your phone and got to work. You got out a garbage bag and made room for the food stuffs that Jenny would be bringing with her. Then you wiped down the counters and swept the floors.

There were no cabinets to rifle through in the dining and living rooms, but there were more surfaces to dust.

Grandma collected a lot of knick knacks. Most of them were sea glass and shells, including a queen conch shell that shimmered and shined like pearls after you wiped it down with a disinfectant wipe. You kinda wished she hadn't collected so many... Then you remembered this was all you had left of her and started polishing with a fervor.

There was an enormous old TV and VCR player in the living room, along with a few Disney movies (from younger you) and nature documentaries (from Grandma) on VCR. Both electronics turned on when you pressed their power buttons. You turned them off before the screen could completely light up. They probably wouldn't be getting a lot of use this week.

Once the downstairs was done, you moved upstairs. There were only bedrooms up there. You had to make another trip out to your car to collect the bed linens you brought. As you suspected, the ones stored in the cabinets at the house were all moth-eaten.

Everything has to be perfect, you thought as you finished emptying the dressers and wardrobes to make room for Jenny's and your things.

This was it. This week you were going to tell Jenny how you really felt about her. You'd been telling yourself you would tell her for months now. There was no better time. You were both adults now, and she was away from her conservative family.

You finished just as the ice cream truck made its first round of the day. You ran outside at the sound of the music, waving your crumpled bills in the air until the man stopped. Obviously he was not used to serving such big kids. You ordered your favorite ice cream as well as a drumstick for Jenny when she arrived.

You really should unpack your clothes, but you found yourself sitting on the front porch steps, eating your ice cream and waiting anxiously for her to arrive.

Your heart skipped a beat when you saw her Cadillac come down the broken-down asphalt. With a grin that felt like it was splitting your face in two, you stood up from the stoop and started jumping up and down, waving your arms wildly. Anything to catch her eye, gain her attention.

Her car pulled into the driveway, the driver's side door opened up... And Jenny didn't step out. A man you'd never met before did.

Who the fuck are you? You wondered. Just when you had convinced yourself he was a tourist who drove a car similar to Jenny's and had the wrong cottage, Jenny appeared on the passenger side.

Her deep brown skin was shining under the summer sun. She had her hair pulled into space buns and her Wayfarers on. She was already dressed in her bikini, although she was wearing denim short shorts over her bottoms. They showed off the same amount of skin, however.

She was perfect. Beautiful. The most gorgeous girl you'd ever set eyes on.

"Y/N! Get over here and give me a hug, darling!" She yelled, dropping her Louis Vuitton purse and throwing her arms open. You didn't so much as hesitate before running to her. She wrapped you in her embrace, kissed you on both cheeks because she once claimed they did that in "France, or Italy, somewhere expensive and chic." You weren't complaining.

"Who's he?" You whispered as the man got out and started grabbing her many bags from the trunk. You knew Jenny. She'd only be here for a week, but she packed as if she'd be living there for months.

She lifted up her sunglasses and perched them precariously on her head before looking over at the man as if she just remembered she brought him. Her eyes were big and brown, like a doe's. Just... Amazing.

"Oh, Nick? He's just the flavor of the week," she said, loud enough for him to hear her. Still, he said nothing. She leaned in close and whispered right in your ear, "I swear to God, he tastes like pineapple."

You shivered at the feeling of her hot breath fanning over your neck. "It was just supposed to be the two of us," you pouted. How were you supposed to confess to her now?

"Don't look so sad, darling! He won't be here the entire time. Just coming and going. I need something to keep me entertained in the evenings." She joked, rubbed soothing circles into your back. "Now stand back and let the big, strong man carry in everything. You and I have some catching up to do!"