Chapter 13

Dr. Lulu and two other nurses went into the solitary room, but no one was there.

“Yaa Kareem! She must have escaped!”

Looking through the window, she saw her running onto the main road.

Hajia Zainab didn’t even know how to drive a car. She beat up a man making a call in his car and threw him out. She drove away saying she’s going to all around Nigeria to find her daughter. Dr. Lulu immediately followed her, but my mum was so fast. Dr. Lulu called the police and informed them to track her down. It was a stolen car. Soon, she hit the car to a lorry parked at the corner of the road.

She was bleeding on her forehead, but she was still conscious. Dr. Lulu immediately took her out of the car but she started throwing stones and sands on everybody. The ambulance came, and they rushed to hold her. About seven other nurses held her down.

“Don’t worry madam, I’m going to hive you some sedatives. You need to calm down.”

She flipped her over and held her arm down in order to get her vein. Doctor Lulu injected her with Lorazepam. Immediately, all her nerves calmed down as she stopped shouting.

“It’s okay, madam, you will soon see your daughter, ehn?”

She looked at the nurses with so much relief. Please transport her back to the hospital. Contact her family members and don’t forget to monitor her vitals.

“Yes, ma.” They replied and carried her into the ambulance. Dr. Lulu took out a deep sigh of relief.

‘I walked out thinking of how he fooled me to come here. And I can’t believe I fell to it. How rude! How annoying can a doctor be?’ I thought to myself.

I entered his Chevrolet Corvette jeep. It was the first time sitting with a guy all alone and I felt really, really, really... uncomfortable.

I calmly leaned on the door handle, but my heart was racing. Doctor Abdullah slowly ride through the road. I prayed he won’t ask anymore of his questions.

An awkward silence reigned through the drive. I only stared outside, focusing on the road. I can’t imagine what could go on in his dirty mind. He actually forced me into his totally classic, air-conditioned car, but it looked like I couldn’t breathe properly. How I wish I took a cab instead... Ughhh!!!

After a while, He broke the silence by turning on his radio. It was Al-Qunut from Sheikh Jibril Abdallah and Sudais. I so loved the prayers and started reciting in my mind.

“You must really enjoy listening to Al-Qunut a lot... So you memorised all the dua’s?”

My heart soared like a released eagle flying in the blue forest sky. “What? Did I say that loud?” I looked away, but he replied with a short laugh.

“What made him laugh? Am I funny to him?”

I wondered, still looking away. My whole body quivered. I became confused. I must have mistakenly uttered some of its words out.

Doctor Abdullah cleared his throat. It was as if he felt the same way. Another chill bomb ran through my spine. I quickly switched it off, staring at the road, too. He stole glances at me twice as if he wanted to ask me something, but he didn’t. The rest of the ride went silent until we got to the front of the big gate. He parked.

“Thanks for giving me a free ride home.”

Opening the door, my hand mistakenly touched his. I flicked.

My heartbeat was increasing, so was the awkward silence. And the strange heat in his air-conditioned car.

“A...aisha! Wait a minute.”