0: Do You Believe?

"What do you believe when everyone is watching?"
"Bloodmoney"- Poppy

Sunday, August 14, 2021. Sunrise. Church

"Jung Wooyoung. Do you believe Jesus Christ is your only Savior and Lord?"

Grave silence stood in the audience of the brightly lit building. Mothers wiped away tears with dainty handkerchiefs, fathers looked on proudly, children stood solemnly looking on.

"I believe."

Smiles bloomed on the faces of the family of 19-year-old Jung Wooyoung. This is the day they had all been waiting for. The day when their beloved Wooyoung would get baptized and become a faithful Christian. "A faithful slave of God", they called it.

Nobody cared. Nobody cared if it was what he truly wanted. And nobody would ever care.

"Do you promise to keep your heart clean and abstain from any sin that would taint your soul, Wooyoung?"

A choked, tearful "Yes" and a sob sounded from the said boy. More tears flowed in the audience at the sincerity of this "faithful young man."

What they didn't know, and never would have expected, is that it was nowhere near a sob. It was laughter.

Jung Wooyoung was doing his best to hold back his laughter. The line "to abstain from any sin that would taint your soul"- he found it ridiculous, for Wooyoung actually has been for a long time, what these people would call...

Tainted.

Jung Wooyoung was tainted. And he wouldn't ever, ever go back to this so-called "life of purity" even if you paid him.