Chapter Twenty Five

"So..."

"So?"

"So." Nina paused, looking around the breakroom to make sure no one was listening in to their conversation. "I have something to tell you."

"Spill the tea," Kingsley replied as he poured himself some coffee, before turning to face Nina, giving her his undivided attention.

"Miles and I are dating," Nina confessed.

"Oh." Kingsley hummed with a nod. "Okay."

"Okay? Okay?" Nina frowned, looking almost offended. "That's it? That's all you have to say?"

"Can't say I didn't see it coming." Kingsley shrugged. "I'm only surprised it took this long."

"Whatever," Nina muttered. "We spoke to H.R. about it and signed the disclosure forms."

"Wait—" now Kingsley was taken aback, "—you're H.R. official?"

"Uh-huh," Nina smirked, as Kingsley stared at her with wide eyes.

"Damn," he said lowly. "That's serious."

"We didn't really want to tell anyone in the office before we spoke to H.R. Not like we want to announce it on the intercom now... but we just wanted to be safe and do things the right way," Nina explained.

"I'm happy for you both," Kingsley said, his voice sincere. "If you hurt him, I'm chopping off your bangs. If he hurts you, I'm chopping off his balls."

"You're so sweet when you get all protective and violent." Nina aw-ed sarcastically.

"Celebratory drinks tonight?" Kingsley asked.

"You just need an excuse to drink."

"Joke's on you—" Kingsley scoffed, "I can drink plenty without an excuse too."

"Fine. Usual time and place?" Nina questioned. "I'll let Miles and Anwar know."

"Yeah su— wait, is it cool if Roan and Kai join? I was supposed to meet them tonight."

"Sure, I really liked them from the New Year party," Nina replied.

"They liked you too, especially Kai."

After talking some more, the two left the breakroom and went to their respective cabins. Kingsley kept glancing at the tab on which his day's calendar was open. He had a meeting with Lorenzo in about twenty minutes, and every time he saw the man's name on the screen, he felt like he had— no, definitely not butterflies. That doesn't happen in real life. Especially not to Kingsley.

Kingsley stared at his wristwatch, watching the seconds tick.

03:59:58

03:59:59

04:00:00

Kingsley stood up in a flash, almost making Nina flinch at the sudden action. Kingsley grabbed his laptop and headed towards Lorenzo's office, his legs moving faster than usual. What to say? Kingsley was a good employee.

He knocked on the door, waiting for a muffled 'come in', before entering. Lorenzo looked up from the screen, a soft smile on his lips as Kingsley walked closer. Neither of them said anything as Kingsley sat down and opened his laptop. He cleared his throat, as he finally turned his eyes on his boss.

"So, I've been working on the glitch we're facing on the app and—"

Despite the presence of the usual tension in the room, the two actually had the meeting that they were scheduled to have. At some point, they moved from Lorenzo's desk to the couch, as it was easier for Kingsley to show and explain the updates he had been working on that way.