Chapter Fifteen

I'm very sorry, some urgent work came up and I won't be able to make it to dinner. I'm ordering Chinese though, maybe we can eat at my place?

Kingsley read the message from Lorenzo over and over again. He had sent another message with his address, without waiting for Kingsley's reply first. The dark-haired man knew that if his boss was paying attention then he would be aware that Kingsley had opened his messages over eight minutes ago, and was yet to text back.

Kingsley had prepared himself to tell Lorenzo that he would like to remain professional. That he wanted to draw boundaries. He had mentally psyched himself for having this conversation in one of the booths of the diner; a public place. But Lorenzo just had to throw a curve ball and invite him over.

Kingsley absolutely did not trust his resolve. Especially not when he was going to be alone with Lorenzo. But he knew he had to. He couldn't risk Lorenzo's job, not when he had bent over backwards to save it.

Kingsley texted him back, letting him know that he'd be there in thirty. Surprisingly, Lorenzo only lived a few blocks away. Or maybe it wasn't that shocking considering both of them lived in a rich neighborhood.

Kingsley decided to take a shower, after which he got dressed in a grey button down shirt and black jeans. He looked at himself in the mirror, remembering how Cole always complained about his dress sense. Kingsley never cared about branded clothing, and back in school he mostly showed up in band t-shirts and sweatpants, much to his ex's dismay.

After grabbing his wallet, keys and phone, Kingsley left his penthouse. Apparently Lorenzo had already told the doorman about Kingsley's arrival, so he was quickly buzzed in. Lorenzo lived on the eighteenth floor, and Kingsley made his way to the boss's front door.

He ran a hand through his hair, cursing internally when he realised it was still wet from the shower. Why did he assume his hair would dry in a ten minute walk?

"Here goes nothing," Kingsley muttered to himself before knocking.

Kingsley tapped his foot, feeling impatient as Lorenzo took his sweet time (forty seconds) to open the door. Kingsley's eyes raked in the view in front of him, it was his first time seeing Lorenzo dressed casually. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt with grey sweatpants. Definitely a gay man's weakness.

Kingsley sighed. Why, oh why, did Lorenzo have to wear that. A hot man in grey sweatpants was a wet dream of anyone that swung that way.

"Hey, come on in," Lorenzo moved aside to let Kingsley enter, which he did without saying a word. Lorenzo closed the door shut, before continuing, "I'm really sorry about all this. Jiya called me an hour ago and told me the new COO of SoulTech wants to have a meeting first thing tomorrow morning to discuss—"

"It's okay," Kingsley interrupted him, "work can be unpredictable, I get it."

"Yeah, but again, I apologise," Lorenzo said.

"And once again, it's fine," Kingsley said as Lorenzo led him to the living room, "do you need any help with it?"

"Actually, I wouldn't mind. I just have a few slides left to make and maybe you could give them a look?"

"Sure."

With both of them working together, it didn't take long before Lorenzo was done with the pending work. They only took a five minute break in between to order dinner, and now the two were sitting on the couch, with a drink in their hand.

"So, what is it that you wanted to talk about?" Lorenzo asked. The two of them were sitting on opposite ends of the couch. Lorenzo had one arm resting on top of the couch as he tilted his body to face Kingsley.