Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Careful, Luis."

"I'm trying my best, Adam."

"You're going to hurt her."

Fragments of sounds and voices fill my waking mind and only now do I feel as if someone has shot me in the head. I feel the painful throbbing of not only my head but my palms and the side of my face as well. Besides from the ache I'm sensing right now, I can also feel the soft cushion placed behind my head, elevating it.

Someone is fiddling with my right hand and cotton like material wraps around my dainty fingers and then weaves around to my palm. They manage to hit a sore spot from my hand, jolting me awake. 

Somebody quickly holds a hand over my mouth to muffle my scream.

"Shh, you're going to wake your father." Cole whispers to my left. My breathing quickens from the mention of my father but I don't dare to scream. I open my eyes, thankful for the dim lighting in the room.

I lie motionless on the couch. Events from before I blacked out came crashing in. Our conversation, the way he shouted at me, the way I tried to defend myself, my tantrum, his calm yet haunting demeanour and the way he made my life seem insignificant and then finally, someone lifting me up from the shard decorated floor. 

"Belle? Belle?! Fuck, don't do that ever again."

My eyes found his after searching through the dim lighting for almost a couple of seconds. He's stood on the other side of the room but he quickly makes his way over once his gaze holds mine.

"My head hurts." I mumble. Cole and Luis sigh in relief, mumbling incoherent words to each other. They both look tired yet comforted. Even Adam, who now is sitting at the foot of the couch, is looking at me with tired eyes. Eye bags decorate under his eyes and his usually messy hair is even messier than before. I look at the time, wincing the moment I saw how late it was. How long have they been waiting for me to wake up? How long were they planning on waiting?

"Does something hurt?" Stupid question from him but I shook my head. "But you flinched." His forehead creased with worry and he's leaning so close that it began to feel uncomfortable.

"Why are you still here?" I mutter looking down on my bandage dressed hands. It's going to be a pain holding anything for a week or so. How can I be so stupid?

I feel the couch move and I look up to see him making himself comfortable by resting his back on the cushion of the sofa. He didn't mind that my feet were beside him and even surprisingly lifted them up and brought them to his lap.

"I couldn't leave without knowing if you're okay or not."

He's sweet. He's too sweet. He can't be real right now. He should be home, having a rest from the activities and all the walking we've done before. Was he planning on waiting until I woke up from my sleep? What if I woke up later? Would he have stayed? He doesn't need to worry about me. I already have Luis and Cole doing that for him...

But nevertheless, blush crept up my cheeks and I have to look away and mentally slap myself for my inappropriate response. Why would I even think about that if I'm-

I'm...to be...engaged.

Engaged

Married

My blush filled cheeks turned pale in an instant and all the light in my eyes slowly drained away.

It felt as if it was just a distant nightmare. I couldn't just be given away just like that. I haven't even lived properly. How does he expect me to marry some guy I haven't even met yet?