Chapter 6: Friendly Reminder

She doesn't remember me. How? She was fine last night! Chan looked at me, my grandma, then back at me. She wasn't thinking clearly, that's all. It must've just been a short term thing. I'm sure everything will be alright. I know it's not, stop lying to yourself. How- When- What do I do?

"Children, what are you doing in my cottage?" She seemed to have a pretty passive reaction for someone who has 'strangers' in her house.

I stared at Chan for a moment, a tear rolling down my cheek. I didn't even notice it was. "I know a doctor. Should I...?" He asked wearily. I silently nodded my head, turning back to look at my Grandma. One step turned into two, walking towards her. I then sat down at the table. The sound of Chan leaving the cottage resonated in the house.

"It's me. Collete. I'm your granddaughter." I told her. She was bewildered, a cloudy expression residing on her face.

"I have a granddaughter?" She debriefed. "Where is my husband then? Where are my children?"

She doesn't remember Grandpa....

"Grandma... Grandpa died years ago. You only have one child... she's mentally ill. Her husband- ex husband, my father, died from a heart attack. That's why I live with you."

She looked so grief-stricken by my answer. "Aww, you poor child! I'm so sorry for your loss."

She forgot again... didn't she?

It's alright. Chan's coming with a doctor.

"Don't you remember me? I've lived with you for over half my life! Grandma, please don't forget me!" I begged her, trying to get something out of her.

"How old are you, Sweetie?" She spoke up.

"I'm almost 18, Grandma. My birthday is coming up soon,"

"Oh heavens. I'm sorry, I can't seem to remember you. Happy early birthday, Sweetie." She changed her voice on each sentence, which made her sound more lost than she actually was. Unless she was really lost.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The front door swung open, revealing Chan and someone else. He was older, around 50 or 60 years. Younger than Grandma however. He must've been in very good shape for walking all the way here. Wow. The two men made their way to the table, both sitting down; the doctor sat across from me, Chan sat next to him.

"Hello I'm Dr. Rok. I've heard there was a problem?" A bag of his medical supplies laid on the floor where he dropped it at the entrance when he entered.

"She doesn't remember me. Grandma..." My voice trailed off. My tears were already dried so I wasn't particularly worried if they noticed or not.

"Maybe I ask you both a few questions?" That's a question. Why would you ask if you can ask a question?

"Yes," Grandma answered him.

"Is your memory usually this bad?"

"Yes,"

"How long has this been happening?" That's a dumb question.

"I don't remember."

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"Waking up and coming to the kitchen for breakfast,"

"What's your earliest memory?"

She pondered that thought for a minute or two before giving a reply. "Meeting a man. I was younger, much younger. He was... different." I was confused by what she meant until I assumed it was most likely Grandpa.

"What about any children? Grandchildren?"

"Collete, I just met today. I guess we live together, according to her. I have a daughter, and a son."

"-Grandma," I said, before the doctor could ask anything else. "You only have one child. Mom."

"No Sweetie. I remember, I have two kids. My daughter, who you told me about, and my son. He disappeared when he was seven. His father is the 'different' man. I remember the day I had my son. I think his father took him now that I think about it. I can't seem to remember."

She's never told me this before... no one has...

"Tell me more about them," I requested. Already, I was intrigued to hear what she had to say.

"I knew and loved two people. Something happened with one of them, so I couldn't marry him. However, I did have a child. It was a baby boy, his name I cannot recall. I think I married someone else though, and had a child with the other man. He didn't know about my son. I could never tell him."

Grandma... Why didn't you tell me? This whole time, my entire family thought we had no one else. Though Grandpa would've been sad, he would understand. I'm sure he would've, he was a very understanding person.

The doctor cleared his throat, hinting to us that we should move on with the questioning.

"Have you ever forgotten many things before, or found yourself in a situation that you don't remember being in?"

"Not often until now." She told the doctor. He shook his head, turning to me.

"Collete, right?" I nodded, letting him know it's correct. "Has this ever happened before?"

"No. Her memory is usually better than that of an elephant. This is very sudden and unexpected."

I shifted my position in my seat.

"Grandma, Collete... I'm afraid I have some bad news. Thankfully, I have good news as well; which one first?"

"Bad News," Grandma said.

"I'm sorry to tell you that I'll be diagnosing you with Stage 3 of Alzheimer's Disease. Good news is that we caught it before anything serious happened. Some more bad news would be that... you may not have much time. Since we live far from civilization, we aren't able to provide the right medicine. You would need to travel to the city, which is a week long trip by foot or horse. Try eating more Omega-3 filled foods such as fish, beans, and other proteins. If you do keep a healthy diet, you will live much longer than on the track you are right now. Your Alzheimer's seems to be getting worse at an unusually unhealthy rate. At this rate, you might only make it for another five or so years. Your time left is very unpredictable though, anywhere between 3 to 11 years. It's best to proceed with caution. As symptoms continue to get worse, have a journal with you at all times to note down stuff you do. I'll come to check in with you guys every month or so to monitor progress. If she ever forgets something like who she is or you, try jogging her memory by showing her pictures or telling her stories of whatever she forgot. Make sure to give a vivid description."

This is too much. Salty tears escaped both my eyes, making life feel as if it was just a fever dream.

Flashbacks replayed in my head.

My heart had stopped beating; it took a second to start up again. You better not die on me, Granny. That's been my worst fear ever since my Grandpa passed. One day I'd wake up and she'd just be... gone.

"One day, there will come a point in your life you'll have to live alone," She began. Immediately, I knew what she was going to say. I dreaded that day more than my own death, more than anything.

"All I ask of you is one thing: When I die, I want to be buried where the rays of light create the saturated magic of color. Can you do that for me?"

The flash backs ended. Oh, Granny... I'm not strong enough to let you go. But I'm scared because you're not strong enough to hold on.