8~The Big 3-God, faith, & prayer

It took a couple of hours to scout out a spot that met their requirements, but finally, they found a small cave not too far a climb down to the water.

"I don't see the point in holing up here. We can't hide forever." Colton's voice echoed in the cool, damp cavern which seemed even smaller with all eight of them inside.

"He's right," Rose agreed, wrapping her arms around herself. "We need food. Supplies. Our families will wonder where we are."

"We passed several pecan trees," Dean said taking a drink from his water bottle. "It's not much, but we won't starve. Hopefully, we'll be home before our families even know something's wrong."

"They'll know we're missing in a few hours."

Leo surveyed the group. "We're not staying long, just until we come up with a plan."

"Is it possible to get to Apple Rapids from here?" Janessa asked.

"Maybe." Leo gripped the back of his neck. "It would be difficult on foot."

Dean's gaze hooded. "Difficult, but not impossible."

Mark faced them as if he was preparing for battle. "All things are possible with God. We need to pray."

"Spare us the Sunday School lesson," Peter sighed.

Colton laughed, shaking his head. "Finally, something we agree on, bus-boy."

Peter took a step toward Colton, his expression stoic. "I could care less what you think."

Colton stepped forward, bringing him nose to nose with Peter. "I don't trust you. Even if you're telling the truth, you knew you were putting us in danger when you decided to steal Mike's I.D."

Tension simmered, keeping a slow burn.

"I did what I had to do," Peter jerked his head defensively. "How was I to know I'd be hunted down?"

"You have two brain cells, don't you, bus-boy?"

All of a sudden tempers exploded. It wasn't clear who shoved first, but Leo jumped between them, Dean and Mark at his side. "Hey, save it for the bad guys."

"Maybe that's what Peter is."

Dean stepped in front of Colton when he tried to lunge at Peter. "We don't need this now." His voice held an unmistakable command. "Back off."

"Oh, right, sure. You think we need a big group hug and a prayer too." Sarcasm lined the words.

"I didn't mean to create trouble or push my beliefs on anyone, but I stand behind what I said." Mark's voice was strong and clear. "We need God. If anyone wants to pray, we can do it together. If not, no hard feelings, I'll still pray for you."

Grace lifted her chin, making eye contact with each of them. "He's right. I know it seems bad now, but God can move mountains." She turned to Mark and reached out her hand, which he took. "I'll pray with you."

Mark and Grace waited to see if anyone else would join them, but no one said a word. Most of them glanced away, not wanting to seem rude. Colton's and Peter's hearts appeared the hardest, but Rose seemed a bit irritated as well.

She thought Janessa was on the verge of giving in and hoped she'd want to pray, but finally, Janessa's shoulders sank and she shook her head.

Grace felt him watching. Slowly, her head turned and her gaze collided with Leo's. He didn't look away, and they stood lost in each other's eyes for what seemed like forever.

Finally, he spoke, his deep voice sending shivers along her spine. "I'm sorry, angel."

She averted her gaze before he could see her disappointment, her eyes connecting with Mark's. "Looks like it's just us.