78

ASGARD. 2013.

"What are you doing?" Lady Frigga asked. Percy had been chasing Thor and trying to get him to turn around. Just when he'd caught him, Frigga had popped up out of nowhere. Thor screamed, as did she, and Percy dropped to his knees.

"Queen Frigga," he addressed her. They'd messed up big time. 

"You're better off leaving the sneaking to your brother!" She said to Thor, gesturing for Percy to stand. 

"Yeah, I was simply just going for a walk, and uh..." he put his hands over his belly trying to cover it. 

"What are you wearing?" She furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Oh, we were on a mission. I gave it to him for disguise, your majesty-" Percy said, but Thor's story completely contradicted his.

"I always wear this. It's one of my favourites." 

Frigga put a hand on her son's face. "What's wrong with your eye?" 

"Oh, my eye. That's... you remember the Battle of Haroquin? When I got hit in the face with a broadsword?"

"You're not the Thor I know at all, are you?" She smiled, shaking her head.

"Yes I am." 

"The future hasn't been kind to you, has it?" She asked softly, getting a good look at him. From anyone else, it may have sounded rude but, from her, it was filled with worry and non-judgemental pity. 

"I didn't say we were from the future-" Thor tried to argue, but Frigga cut him off. 

"I was raised by witches, boy," she smiled. "I see with more than eyes." 

Thor tried to hold himself together, but he ended up nodding, tears streaming down his face. "I am totally, totally from the future." 

"Yes, you are." 

"I really need to talk to you." 

"We can talk," she assured him, staying right there as she looked at Percy. Her eyes went to his ring, then hers. She smiled again. "I'm glad he found you, Perseus." Suddenly, it occurred to him that Loki had given him his mother's wedding ring. He raised both eyebrows, looking at it. 

Thor started telling her about Thanos, about the snap, all of it. About his guilt and she listened intently to all of it. Percy did, too, suddenly becoming aware of the weight on Thor's shoulders. He squeezed his friend's flabby arm. 

"THOR! I GOT IT!" Rocket shrieked, running away from several Asgardian guards, who were screaming an array of things like: 'get that rabbit!' and 'is that thing talking?' 

"Perseus, tell Loki you saw me, and that he has done nothing but make me proud, will you?" Frigga looked at him. It was almost as if she knew something about the events that day. 

"I have to tell you something," Thor said. 

"No, son, you don't. You've come to repair your future. Not mine," she shook her head. What was that on her face? Sadness? Acceptance? 

"But this is about your future," he reasoned. 

"It's none of my business," she assured him. She definitely knew something. 

Rocket had run over completely by this point. "Hey," he said, panting. "You must be Mom," he looked up at Thor and Percy. "I got the thing. Come on, we have to move." 

"I wish we had more time," Thor said. 

"No," she smiled. "This was a gift, and you're going to be the man you were meant to be."