32|truth

Jace sat cuffed and seated before the three policemen. He had been silent since his encounter with the police. He didn't believe that the police would catch up to him very fast. One minute he was rejoicing that Claire's marriage to Ashton Ryder was announced on social media, which was something almost irrevocable and the next minute or rather some days later, he was arrested for the murder of Freya Ryder. All in the twinkle of an eye.

Peterson's recorder stayed glued underneath the table his hands rested on while his fingers busied themselves as he tapped his own pen on that same table.

He check his watch after a while. "It's been 15 minutes Lockhart and you haven't said a word. You do know that if you continue to stay quiet you are pleading guilty to the offense you are being accused of."

Jace finally raised his head to stare at Peterson for the first time. What happened few days ago replaying inside his head over and over again.

His eyes finally locked with Ashton and they stared at one another for quite some time. The only barrier between them was the bulletproof glass.

Ashton hand held the headphone that he placed over his head. Refusing to lose the eye contact, Ashton recalled what happened too few days ago.

Freya was seated up with a pillow behind her back and Zachary by her side. He came in when the doctor was just leaving the room. The doctor smiled at them.

"Just in time Mr. Ryder. She's better now and she can speak as well." He knew what that meant. It meant that can find out who caused her harm.

"Thank you doctor." Ashton walked into the room and all attention turned to him. Freya smiled at her brother weakly and never failed to notice the happiness clearly on Zachy's face.

"You're alright," Ashton stated.

"I am." She replied. Ashton sat down besides her too when Zachary gave him chance. Zachary stood, watching the both of them as they spoke to each other.

"It was Mr. Lockhart, Ashton." Freya said. Zachary inched closer to them when he heard her. Samuel guarded the door carefully but his attention never left them.

Everyone was waiting for the truth

"When Zachary and I were out on a date, I saw them. Claire and Jace together."

"The both of them?"

"You can't trust Claire, Ashton. You can't marry her. She and Jace have a thing." Freya said to them.

"I confronted her about it and she told me it was normal for things like that to happen. She even accused me of doing the same. When I saw that she didn't even feel guilty about it, I called Thea to reconsider, I told her to get back with you. Because I knew if I called you, you'd not have the heart to believe me."

"That night I wanted to meet Samson, he was late but Zachy kept me company instead. After he left me there, there was someone else in the dark, waiting for me." She rushed out.

"I know, I know. Relax and talk to me calmly. What happened that night?" Ashton said.

"When I saw the bracelet, I recognized him. It was Mr. Lockhart. He held my neck started choking me, accusing me of wanting to ruin everything for him. I tried fighting back and when I tried to escape him, I was hit by something, I don't know. I can't remember anymore."

Ashton held her hand softly. "It must be when you fainted. You lost a lot of blood Freya. Next time, you don't meet up with anybody alone." She nodded in agreement.

Ashton took a better look at her. Her head was still bandaged properly and she was still connected to a drip. He sighed tiredly.

"Stay with her Zachary, There's something I have to do."

---

"Jace Lockhart, it says here that you are quite the debt owner. You borrowed 15 million from Mr. Sanchez and now he wants you to pay back. What do you have to say about this Mr. Lockhart?"

Jace said nothing, he remained calm. Peterson sighed tiredly. "I'm telling you for the last time Mr. Lockhart, you remaining silence means you are guilty as charged."

"I did it," Jace finally said. "But I wasn't the only one that wanted her dead. Claire Jenkins, helped me do it. She needed the fame and I, the money and so we complimented each other."

"Maybe not so much anymore. She told me you talked her into it. You manipulated her into all of this."

Jace shook his head. "I can't believe she's trying to put this all on me." He scoffed. "I don't think that's the truth. I really think we saw the worst in each other."

Mr. Peterson said, "Why did you try to kill Freya?"

"The aim was clear. Claire needed Fame at first but later on, she wanted the money just like me. Freya was the witness to our conversation. When we noticed she over heard everything, Claire thought it was best to get rid of her at all cause. I just did what I was told to do,"

---

Samuel waited patiently for his assistant to show up. One of the people he trusted the most.

Ashton gave him an assignment, days ago but he was too occupied to do it. Micheal finally showed up with a suitcase in his hand. He entered the car and shut the door besides him swiftly.

Searching through his bag, he brought out a file and handed it over to Samuel. Samuel waited patiently before grabbing the file and opening it.

"His name is Andrew." Michael said, watching as Samuel scanned through the file.

"This will do. You can leave," Micheal was grabbed by the name when he wanted to exit the car. "Remember, no body knows of this,"

"You can trust me," he said and Samuel gently released him. The man forced a smile before leaving the car.

"So Mr. Ryder had an affair after all. I wonder what Ashton thinks of it." He wiped his face in frustration. Reading the document carefully, he found the name of the woman.

Alicia Saunders...