31|the bitter

The door click behind Claire and the computer sang melodiously signaling the lock on the door. After her Stu t yesterday, everything was perfect. The talk on television which went worldwide, the talk with the parents. Nothing was going to stop this marriage from happening. Not even Ashton and not even his good for nothing girlfriend.

She stepped into the sitting room quietly. Looking around for any sign of Ashton but saw none.

"I told you to stay a week more," Claire froze on the spot. The sound of that voice sending chills inside her.

"Why aren't you glad to see me? I thought you would be missing me so badly," she said.

Claire turned slowly to the source of the sound. Her heart already racing at the familiarity of the voice.

"Indeed?" He chuckled. "I did miss you but a part of you more."

Her breath turned tremulous and erratic. That was the night of Ashton's opening ceremony. She remembered both of them sneaking off to find a room at the floor above everyone.

"Kiss me Lockart,"

"No, no, no," she rushed to the TV to shut it off but she couldn't find the switch in a hurry.

How is it possible? How did anybody find out about Jace and her?

"Where the fuck is the God damn switch?" She hushed to herself anxiously. When she couldn't find it, she pulled the cord of the television and it turned blank immediately. She cursed silently, pinching the bridge of her nose.

It must be Ashton's nosey bodyguard that wants to ruin her life. She told Jace to take care of him a long time ago. Lock him up somewhere, ship him off to another country or something. Samuel was a thorn in her flesh and now he knows about Jace and her. The moment she gets her hands on-

Her eyes met with his own upstairs. The railings the only bridge between them but it wasn't Samuel like she predicted. Instead, it was Ashton who stood there, staring down at her without emotion.

---

Zachary's hand slowly but firmly took Freya's hand in his. For the last hours, he had said nothing but stare at her. He didn't know whether he should be relieved that she was breathing or be sad that she hadn't woken up yet.

He watched silently from where he sat as she breathed into the oxygen mask without stop. Few seconds later, he eyes gradually began to shut no matter how hard he resisted. He finally found comfort, laying his head on the bed as he shut his eyes to sleep.

Freya's eyes gently opened after a while. The world seemed blur at first. The sound of machine making rhythmic sound to her ears. She blinked and the blurry vision began to clear. She looked around weakly before tightening her hold on the hand that held hers. That simple motion was enough to wake Zachary awake in an instant.

"Freya," he said softly. Was he over thinking it or did her finger just-

She moved it again and he sat up in an instant. Eyes meeting hers immediately, they widened in shock.

"You...you are awake. Don't shut it again, do... not close your eyes do you hear me? I'll go get the doctor." He rushed out she tightened her hold on him, muttering something. His eyes told him that she was saying something but he quite couldn't catch what.

"Just stay awake Freya, I'll be back in a second!" Without hesitation, he slowly peeled her hands off him and walked out of the door.

---

"What is the meaning of this?!" Claire shrieked. Ashton walked used the stairs until he finally met her downstairs.

"Your game is over Claire. Stop with the act already. What you saw was just a pure evidence of your dirty game. I didn't know this before but you are just a cheap whore."

She cursed silently. "This is a fake! That video was a fake! It's one of you that's trying to frame me."

Ashton furrowed his brows in disgust. "Just be quiet! You're a liar."

"So you're just going to believe a fake video. I didn't do any of this. Who gave you this, Samuel? I told you that I don't like that man. He is the one doing this. He wants to ruin our relationship Ashton, can't you see it?" Claire tried.

"I should have known right from the start that your hatred towards Samuel was uncalled for. I know what you are up to now, I know who you really are, so it's best you take your bags and get out this instant!" He blurted out in anger.

"Or what?" Ashton recoiled in shock. "We are going to be married in two weeks Ashton. We are going to be living together from thereon, throwing me out of your house would do you no good."

"I'm certified, this marriage you speak isn't possible anymore. When I show this video to everyone, you'll be regretting why you didn't leave when I asked you to."

"So that you can get married to Thea, is that it?" She blurted out. "I took her away from you before and I'll do it again!" She continued.

"What did you just say?!" He icily said. She almost lost her composure for a second there.

"Do you know what went wrong? I started rumours that she went partying at the bar when I saw her waitering there. I told your father that her mother was sick and she would just be after your money if you get married to her. I was the one that gave her the apple juice that contained a drugs Ashton. I took her away from you in three easy steps Ashton, what makes you think I won't do it again."

Ashton didn't know his breathing had turned harsh. He roared in anger, gripping her neck tightly.

"Let go," she managed to mutter. She gasped, losing breath as she clawed in his hands, wanting freedom.

"No!" Samuel yelled pulling Ashton away from her and Ashton let go immediately. "She's only riling you up Ashton. You can't kill her yet, until we prove that she is responsible for Freya's condition."

Claire coughed, trying as much as possible to regained lost breath.

"I got a call from Zachary, he says Freya is awake and wants to see you." Samuel said as they both glared at her.

Claire's eyes widened in surprise. Freya can't be alive, she thought. She's supposed to be dead! Jace has to know, they have to flee the country immediately.