27: Hotel

Annabeth POV

The backup plan is to take the entire camp to a hotel in Philadelphia. We actually had two options for a backup getaway, but Chiron made the executive decision to go to Philadelphia. He said that this option is better than the New Jersey alternative.

The buses were full of gas, so we didn't even have to stop in the middle. Of course, when we're transporting about 200 individuals, we have to stop at some point.

As such, we paused at a state park in New Jersey on our way to Philadelphia. Everyone was either eating, stretching, or using the restroom. I was changing Stella's diaper inside the school bus when Piper and Hazel approached.

"We were just wondering if you were okay, Annabeth."

"I'm staying focused," I replied. "I'm trying not to think about the fact that we left Percy and Thalia behind. I'm trying not to think about their deaths."

"The worst part is that we don't know anything for certain," Hazel cried in frustration. "We don't know anything."

I sighed while fixing Stella's dress and standing her up. She clutched my blonde hair and rested her head against my shoulders in exhaustion. Usually, she takes a nap every afternoon, but she didn't get to today. It's been a long day, and it's only 5:30 pm.

Piper simultaneously rubbed mine and Hazel's arms. Stella had already fallen asleep in my arms. I gently patted my back while leaning my face against her head.

People were starting to file back into the buses.

Despite the relative safety, we don't want to stay here that long.

The trees make a good cover against the zombies. Cities and towns are usually where the zombies reside. Isolated state parks like this don't attract zombies because there usually aren't any people. Also, zombies usually stay near the places where they were converted. People don't live in state parks, so you wouldn't expect zombies to be here.

Luke pushed Chiron back into the bus. His gaze lingered on me and Stella before he retreated out of the bus. I watched him go into the driver's seat of the second bus.

There were four buses in total. After an hour and a half of traveling, we had come 75% of the way to Philadelphia.

Piper and Hazel sat in the seats in front of me.

Jason was on one of the buses behind us. Reyna and Frank were on the fourth bus. After we stopped, the seating arrangement switched around so that there would be an equal number of guards on every bus in case we run into trouble.

Bob Titan was driving our bus.

He is about ten years older than me. Bob doesn't work as a guard, but he always helps the camp in any way possible. Right now, he's driving our bus to Philadelphia.

The bus engine roared to life, and we were on the way. Will was giving the driver instruction on the way to the University of Pennsylvania's hotel. Will Solace was a medical student at UPenn, so he had a say in picking this location for backup.

It was guaranteed that the hotel would have access to a lot of resources. After all, it was in a big city surrounded by multiple hospitals, stores, and universities.

UPenn's hotel is a very good idea (better than the museum to be honest).

Reyna suggested that they close off all the stairways inside the hotel. Basically, that's what they did at the hospital Reyna, Frank, and Hazel stayed at. They closed off the staircases so that zombies can't enter the other floors of the hospital.

"We're going to have our work cut out for us," Piper said quietly.

"It won't be that much work. I feel like we can handle it. We'll park the buses in the parking structure next to the hotel as Will suggested," I explained.