Chapter 34 - The Surprise

She turned around to see Axel standing there in a nice suit, looking more handsome than she had ever seen him. 

"Axel?" she said, wiping away her tears. "What are you doing here?" 

"I think you two need some privacy to talk," Mr. Tipton said, getting up from the table. "Emma come to my office tomorrow and I'll have the partnership paperwork ready for you to sign, okay?" 

"Okay," she said, sniffling and wiping her tears again. 

"You two have a nice evening," he said with a smile, patting Axel's shoulder a couple times and telling him, "Good luck," as he passed. 

Axel took his seat and sat down across from Emma. 

She looked across the table at his handsome face and her heart ached. She still felt so hurt by him. Axel reached into his pocket and pulled out her letter. 

"This letter you wrote me is so confusing Emma. You made a lot of statements in it that I don't understand." 

"Like what?" she asked. 

"First off, why do you think I slept with someone the night I went out with the guys and Mr. Tipton?" 

"When you got into bed that night I could smell whiskey and a woman's perfume on you. It was really strong and not the kind I wear."

"No Emma. It's not what you think. Mr. Tipton took us all out to a bar and was buying me and all the guys shots of some expensive whiskey. Debbie Arnold, Mike's wife, ended up showing up there for some reason and I went over to ask her if all the women from our group were there because I was looking for you." 

"So how did her perfume get on you?" 

"The bar was loud so she pressed up against me to talk into my ear so I could hear her and she told me she came there alone to see me. Then she slipped her room key in my pocket and told me to meet her there and she'd make it worth my while. Then she left."  

"Did you go? To her room?" she asked hesitantly. 

"Of course not Emma. Why in the world would I go to her room when I had you waiting for me? She was pretty pissed that I didn't show up though and she was shooting me evil glares that entire next day. Apparently she doesn't get turned down very often."

"So you didn't hook up with a woman that night?" 

"No. I was hoping to hook up with you but I thought you were passed out when I got back. Now what about the rest of the bullshit in this letter? What makes you think I'm with Victoria and that I was mocking you for sleeping with me?"

"Victoria stopped by my office and paid me a visit after she told Mr. Tipton about us pretending to be engaged. She said you told her all about our fake engagement and that you and her were laughing at how pathetic I was for throwing myself at you. She said you told her you were ready to settle down and she was the only woman you could see yourself doing that with. She said you guys were even arguing about how many kids to have."

Axel's eyes widened and then he started to laugh. He kept on laughing for a long time. 

"This isn't funny Axel. Why are you laughing?" 

"It's hilarious because it's all complete bullshit. None of that happened. Did she really say all that to you?" he asked in disbelief.

"Yeah. That's exactly what she said. Why?" 

He shook his head. "Wow. She's even crazier than I thought. I never told her about our fake engagement. When I got home from the trip I was leaving a voicemail for you and she must've overheard me. I didn't even know she was in my apartment til after I hung up. She came over to bring my dry cleaning and to go over my schedule and then she tried to give me a massage. I pushed her hands off and told her to go home and that's it. That's all that happened. I never told her any of that other bullshit."