Chapter five- Fighting

Avery's  pov

I sat down at lunch with a huff and put my lunch down in front of me.

"Hey Avery!" I heard a familiar voice say. I looked up and beamed at Lucas his perfectly styled brown hair was shorter than I remembered.

His dark brown eyes gazed into mine and his freckled cheeks pulled higher when he smiled at me. I absolutely loved his smile .We had grown closer together over the past week, since Dovelyn had gotten released from the hospital. Lucas sat down with me and picked at my carrots.

"Why do you like carrots so much?" He asked biting into one.

"Cause they're good!" I replied kissing him on the cheek. He smiled and kissed me on the lips, taking me by surprise.
The kiss was fiery and passionate, I smiled against his lips and pulled him closer

"Get a room!" I heard a female voice say. I pulled away to see Dovelyn giggling at me. She sat down, put her crutches to the side and pulled out a few papers out of her binder. Lucas wrapped an arms around my waist and pecked my cheek lightly, picking up one of my carrots and biting into it.

"Homework?" I asked her when she pulled out a pencil and a paper.

"You know it chicka," she replied, setting to work. She has been released from the hospital a couple of weeks ago. Today was her second day back since the accident.

Raven walked up a few moments later and sat down beside Dovelyn. He looked at her looking like he wanted to say something but just gave her a longing look and turned to his food, not even eating it. There was something going on between them and I needed to find out, soon.

"You shouldn't starve yourself," Raven muttered.

Crap, that was not something you wanted to say to my friend.

That was one of the biggest offenses to her, don't ask me why.

"I'm not," Dovelyn replied through gritted teeth. Wow she was handling this well.

"Why don't you eat then?" He asked. I was gonna strangle that boy, he didn't know when to stop.

"Because. I'm not hungry," she said, her head whipping up from her papers.

"Yea, right," Raven snorted.

"You know what lets just-" I started but Dovelyn interrupted me by standing up grabbing her crutches and shouting.

"I don't starve myself! It's been this way since I was born. So if you want to make assumptions about my life, use some facts that you know are one-hundred percent true! Okay? So have a nice day!"

She said the last bit with so much sarcasm I was almost sure you could see it dripping from her tongue. She gathered her things as quick as she could with her injury and hobbled toward the cafeteria exit.

I jumped up and ran after her,stopping at the doors to shout to the silent cafeteria,"Mind your own beeswax!"
I found Dovelyn in the bathroom sobbing in one of the stalls. She was sitting in the ground so I sat next to her and put my arm around her.

I never really knew why she always got upset when someone asked about her eating habits, but I didn't push her. I heard footsteps around the door to the girls.

"Dovelyn?" Anger bubbled inside of me as I realized it was Raven.

"I'm gonna go for a sec okay?" I said gently before slowly getting up. I hated it when my best friend cried and Raven was gonna get a piece of my mind. I walked out of the bathroom and stalked up to him.

"Listen bucko! Nobody makes my best friend cry okay? You better apologize! If you don't you'll wish your mother had never given birth to you! If you ever, and I mean ever, make her cry again I will shove my foot so far up your-"

"Okay okay! I get it!" Raven interrupted, horrified. I took a deep breath to keep myself from punching him and pointed toward the bathroom door.

He gave me an uncertain look so I pushed him into the bathroom and right up to the stall where Dovelyn was. I gave him the sternest look I could have ever given someone before in my life then turned away.

Let's hope for the best.