Chapter 31: Moving Forward

Lyon

I blush and back up a bit, covering myself with my hands. She seems to realize this and cringes, shuddering. 

"Yeah...that is one of those things you'll never get used to." She murmurs, reddening by the second. 

An awkward silence fills the air between us, and I grit my teeth. "They gotta know we prefer coverings...I mean they catch us and all with our clothes on."

She sighs. "Right now it is spring. When you have gone outside, have your ever felt an ounce of coldness?" She asks, and I shake my head. I mean...it took me a whole conversation to realize I was naked in front of a girl!

"Exactly. Their springs here are perfect for us. Not too cold, not too hot. Even when it rains or spring storm rolls in, the temperature stays perfect." I nod, waiting for more. 

"The summer is hotter than any day you would experience on Earth! Oh my gosh. When it comes, and you'll know when it does, you will be happy just the way you are. There is no type of human clothes that we could wear out there without burning up a fever. And even then...our owners have to rub this special lotion on our skins so we don't get burns. I'm not talking about sunburns. I am talking about burns." She licks her lips, a faraway look in her eyes. 

"Fall is a bit chilly...but not by much. It's kind of refreshing after the summer anyways. Winter is the only season that gets frigid. During those days, if we have to go outside, they put a special suit on us to contain our body heat. But inside any building,  it'll overheat us, so it is immediately taken off." I sigh as she finishes. 

"Yeah. To them, we don't need clothes. During the summer and possibly winter when we're inside, they could wound or kill us. To them, it's not worth it. Besides, if we ever showed signs of getting cold, they just wrap us up in blankets." 

Her explanation makes me feel a little better, and more comfortable. Am I still a bit...apprehensive that I am naked in front of her? Yes. But she has been here for years. If she says it's something to accept, I guess I'll have to just accept it. 

Suddenly, a multi-colored alien walks out from a door behind the desk, and reads something off a clipboard. 

My owner reaches over, and searches for me. "Aah, so they named you Lyon. Cool." I startle at her words, before looking back up at my owner. 

"Lyon?" I ask, and she nods. "Yep."

"Do you know why I'm here, Raya? Why we're here?" She smiles. "To get groomed, silly!" Are her last words before her owner pulls her back and mine own grabs me. 

I whine as I struggle in his grip, not wanting to be grabbed and taken by any unfamiliar objects. The big guy grumbles soothingly, stoking my head and hair before carefully passing me into the Muti-colored giant's hands. 

I whimper, feeling betrayed. I stare at my owner as I am carried through the same door the alien came out of, until I can't no more.