𝕊hroud for the Son of the Sea

- I'll be fine! Careful is my middle name

They say grief comes in many different forms. The grief of a loved one, the grief of a pet, and the grief of a counsel.

But no one teaches you what grief feels like.

No one can prepare you for the empty, pointless circles around the kitchen. The continuous, unending eating of anything that comes to hand. The days where you feel ill looking at so much as a crumb.

The days when your friends have to force you to eat. They wouldn't have wanted you to be like this, they'd say. What does it matter what they want anymore?

They never warn you about the sleepless nights, recounting every interaction and every single way you could have changed something, anything, so this wouldn't have happened.

Chiron's voice echoed over in Nicki's mind. "He's gone, Phoenix. Just come back." She remembered the shattering of glass as her grip slacked on the drink she was holding.

She remembered her legs giving out. Stinging from the cuts that littered them, she sat on the floor of her room. Ethan was the first to reach her. She didn't remember much after Chiron's words.

For the past 7 days, Nicki had felt like she was watching herself in the third person.

They had waited 7 days to tell the spy the news, in the desperate attempt that maybe Percy would show up.

7 days of Nicki laughing and messing around with Ethan and Luke, while Percy was dead.

Nicki stood at the front of the amphitheatre. Camp was sickly silent.

It was late afternoon, but the archery range was empty. The climbing wall poured lava and rumbled all by itself. Pavilion: nothing. Cabins: all vacant.

The campers gathered in the amphitheatre. They tossed Annabeth pitiful looks. The occasional pay on the shoulder or half hug as if it was meant to dull the ache.

Nicki's bloodshot eyes were unfocused. She stared emptily at the blazing fire.

Something so warm and inviting made her want to throw up the minimal food in her stomach.

She felt bile rise in her throat as she thought back to falling asleep by the fire with Percy on that first night, so long ago.

Nearby, Annabeth was surrounded by her siblings, allowing herself to cry into their arms. The Athena Cabin attracted large swarms of campers to pay their respects to Annabeth.

Nicki stood alone.

"Hey there," Nicki tore her gaze from the floor. Lee Fletcher stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Nicki, a sad smile on his face. "Figured you might need a friend."

Lee jerked his head to where Annabeth was standing. Nicki shrugged weakly. "She knew him longer. She was there."

"Grief isn't a competition, Nicki. You can hurt as much as you need to."

"You were the one who healed me after Percy gave me a concussion." She commented. Her voice was hoarse and scratchy.

Lee let out a soft laugh. "I think we need to start an injury category labelled: Jackson."

"He'd like that. Stick every stupid injury under there." Nicki's stoney face broke and for the first time in 3 days, the ghost of a smile flickered over her face.

Chiron moved to face the assembled campers. Nicki let out a choked sob and clutched the paper in her hand even tighter than before.

Lee tugged Nicki closer to him. His arm wrapped around her shoulder comfortingly.