Prologue

The smell of whiskey and alcohol was thick in the air as the rickety, wooden doors of Hogs Head pub swung open, revealing a young blonde man in a thick, high-collared cloak.

Draco Malfoy paused briefly by the entrance, gray eyes roaming the pub for before he reluctantly closed the doors and made his way to a dimly lit area at the back of the room.

Although the pub was mostly empty save for the old female bartender, he was careful to keep his head down to avoid being recognized. He walked to the end of the pub and gestured briefly to the bartender. After ordering his drink, he leaned forward against the counter, lowered his head again and adjusted the flaps of his collar higher to hide his face.

An amused, feminine voice to his right broke him out of his thoughts and caused him to stiffen in surprise.

"You actually draw more attention to yourself by skulking around suspiciously like that."

Reluctantly, he turned towards the woman beside him, frowning when he realized that he couldn't see her face as she was facing the other side of the room. He also noticed that her head was completely covered by the hood of the tattered, brown cloak she was wearing.

Annoyed at her off-handed comment, he scoffed loudly and turned away from her.

"Look who's talking. Just because you wear an ugly brown old-lady cloak over yourself, it doesn't mean people won't notice you. So just piss off and mind your own business." He retorted, reaching for the glass of scotch that the bartender placed in front of him.

He thought he heard the woman chuckle quietly at his comment but he didn't turn to look at her again.

Instead, he busied himself with inspecting the rest of the pub's surroundings. Fortunately, apart from the bartender, the woman beside him, and a large, bulky customer sitting in a booth on the other side of the pub, there were no other customers there that evening.

Sighing in relief, he tossed his drink back before turning to the bartender and gesturing for a refill. Just as he was reaching for his second glass of scotch, the woman beside him accidentally spilled some of the drink in her hand and stumbled slightly forward against the counter.

Draco arched an eyebrow and shot her a disinterested glance over his shoulder.

Despite spilling her drink, it looked as though the woman had managed to keep herself from dropping the glass in her hand. As she straightened herself back up, the long hood that had been covering her face suddenly slid down her head past her shoulders, inadvertently exposing her face.

"Damn it."

She cursed under her breath and looked up, reluctantly meeting his gaze.

Draco's drink froze midway to his lips and he stared dumbly at her.

The blushing, anxious face of a young black haired girl stared right back at him.

As it turns out, his initial comment of her wearing an 'old lady cloak' couldn't have been further from the truth.

The longer he stared at her, the more he was certain that she was probably about his age.

She had unusually sleek and incredibly long black hair. It fell over her shoulders and continued in a long, inky waterfall down her waist, past her ankles, until the silky strands hovered just a few inches above the floor by her feet. She was unnervingly attractive, with a perfectly sculpted nose, high cheekbones and a smooth, flawless complexion. The color of her skin was also noticeably very fair – almost glowing in an unnatural sort of way. She was tall – not as tall as he was but certainly taller than most girls in Draco's year. She was also very slender, her womanly curves visible even through the thick layer of ugly brown clothing she wore.