ELEVEN

"I don't know if we are exchanging gifts, but I got him this watch," I said while showing the black box to Kelsey. "He's been raving about it."

"He still hasn't been talking?"

"Nope."

"Asshole. I have to go Athena, but I'll be in New York
later on tonight. Are you sure it's okay if I spend Christmas with you all?"

"I promise it's fine."

"Alright. Love you, flower."

"Love you too," I said before hanging up the phone.

I grabbed the flute glass and the bottle of sparkling wine. I filled the glass to the top before smiling. Just what I needed for this long stressful day.

Valeria and I interviewed people all day for the social media team and now I had to make the final decisions of who made the cut.

Tobias walked in and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Hey, if you don't mind, can Kelsey stay with us for Christmas. I promise we won't be loud or anything."

"Doesn't matter to me. I'm spending Christmas at Laurens place."

"Are you okay? You've been acting weird."

"I've been acting normal."

"You haven't. You don't even eat meals at the table anymore. You don't even speak to me." I crossed my arms. "Did I do something?"

"Perhaps you forgot, Athena. This engagement isn't real. I don't have to eat with you every day nor do I have to talk to you." He said before walking out.

I guess Tobias the asshole is back. Did this guy have multiple personalities? We agreed to be cool and cordial. What was up with him?

"Hello, I know you told me to go home, but I have easy recipe sheets for breakfast that you can cook. No more burned grits" Kaleb said while walking in. "They're Athena proof."

"Hey, and you must know that Tobias is going to Laurens' for Christmas."

"Yes. He didn't tell you?"

"He just did."

Kaleb shook his head. "I also pre-prepped the food for dinner, so most of the things, you just need to put it in the oven."

"I will make Kelsey do that."

"I figured." He smiled. "If you need anything, besides cooking, just know that you can call me."

"Really? Thank you, Kaleb. You know, I barely have friends but I consider you one. Thank you for being there for me."

"No problem. Merry Christmas, Athena."

"Merry Christmas."

~~~
I was at my fathers' house getting a couple of my items.

"Daddy, remember that pottery wheel I had? Do you still have it?"

"Yes. It's in the basement in the storage area."

"I've never been in the basement. Can you send someone down there for me?" I questioned. He sighed while putting down his phone.

"I gave staff off this week for Christmas."

"You're finally being human."

"It's safe down there Athena. I promise no monster will get you." He mumbled.

I sighed before walking across the manor and down the basement stairs. I flicked the lights on and walked to the storage area. I pushed open the door.

It was neat. Buckets lined the walls with labels. I slowly scanned them looking for my name. I stopped at one named "Kaelyn". My mother. What belonged in there?