💮 009

Episode Nine: Truth and Lies

💮💮💮

Rachel blinked open her eyes and looked around. Everything looked a little hazy but she felt better. She got up and walked downstairs. She found Vicky there.

“Vicky? What are you doing here? Are you working from home?” Rachel asked surprised.

“Um, yeah. I just wanted to see if you would need any help, it’s not good to leave a sick person alone” Vicky gruffly replied.

Rachel smiled, “thank you.”

“And Patrick got this for you, eat and take your medicine” Vicky said feigning indifference. He dropped the food on the dining and Rachel could not help the triumphant smile on her lips.

“Thank you, again” Rachel said and began eating happily. Vicky eyed her and he remembered the call about the job.

“Rachel?”

“Yes?” Rachel looked at him.

“Why are you working as a waitress?”

Rachel dropped her spoon and stared at him shocked. ‘Austin told him? But he promised not to.’ She thought upset and worried.

“Rachel? Someone from the restaurant called you but I answered it. He asked why you weren’t at work” Vicky said, “is that where you go to everyday? Do you really work as a waitress?”

‘Oh, Austin didn’t tell him. That’s better’ Rachel thought in relief and looked at Vicky apologetically. “It’s…I just worked there for a while because…I wanted to gain some experience” Rachel lied, “you know, to get better at being hardworking.”

Vicky looked skeptical about her answer. “I heard your university is about to resume” he said.

“Yes, I was going to quit the job before resumption” Rachel said.

“Okay, Rachel, don’t do that kind of work again for any reason. You are okay the way you are” Vicky said, “I’m sure working like that is what got you sick.”

Rachel lowered her head as Vicky scolded her. “You just need to focus on your studies and be an excellent doctor” Vicky continued, “I will take care of the finances.”

“Okay” Rachel answered quietly, “and thank you, for looking after me.”

“It’s okay” Vicky replied and quietly left.