9 | cracks of the skin

Kyle

I skipped school the next day. 

I hadn't heard from Tommy and I didn't think he'd like to hear from me. Especially since I hadn't taken his advice. Why should I? He couldn't expect me to just change overnight. I still needed money for my dealer. 

From the rumors on the streets, I figured out there was a place on the run-down side of the city. A lot of homeless people and orphan kids lived there. I was told there would be a high chance they would buy drugs just because everyone had issues. 

I passed an ambulance on my way. 

That wasn't always a good sign. I knew it was dangerous but I was never one to heed warnings. I liked to act first and think about my mistakes later. One could say I had hot blood. It didn't help I fueled myself every day with my own share of drugs. 

Still, when I arrived at a dilapidated building on the end of the street, I paused by the chain-link fence. I took in my surroundings and prepared myself for some kind of attack. People in places like these usually didn't take warmly to newcomers. 

I lurked a little closer. 

People of varying ages rested in different places around the small area. They were either drinking or smoking something, most of them giggling. It felt normal to me, I was used to being around people like this. 

Suddenly, I caught abrupt movement out of the corner of my eye, and I dodged something being hurled at my head. I heard glass shatter and then I hunted for the attacker with my eyes because they certainly weren't going to give me a warm welcome. 

When our eyes met, I clenched my jaw. 

This had to be some kind of fucking joke. 

I recognized her. 

Charly. 

She hopped off the wall and approached me like an enraged bull. Fucking great. Just what I need in my life right now. How the fuck did she end up in my city anyway? 

"What the fuck are you doing here?" She hissed. 

Oh, right. Forgot she was a bitch. "Me? I've fucking lived here," I snapped, "What the fuck are you doing here?" 

Not my best choice of words because it triggered her. Just like when we were kids. Before I knew it, she clocked me in the jaw. I grunted and stepped away from her. My hand automatically rubbed the sore spot, and we started circling each other. 

It reminded me of when we were young, and the daycare ladies had to keep us from killing each other. Who knew little kids could have so much hate? 

"I see you never fucking grew up," I said, bitterly, "Once a bitch, always a bitch, huh?"

Her nostrils flared. "Better watch your fucking mouth, asshole."

"Or what?" I sneered, "You gonna lose control? I'm so fucking scared." It had always been her fault, she couldn't control her anger. I suppose that we had in common. 

"Get lost, you rotten son of bitch."

She tried coming at me again but I didn't feel like receiving another punch, so I kept the distance between us. Our glares grew heated. We lived in a shitty world and by some fucking joke of the universe, we ended up in the same place again. How perfect. 

"Are you fucking stupid? I said I live here," I snapped.

"Well so do I."

"Since when?"