THREE

Rubble got tossed into piles and demolished first, the floors finally being free of all the rocks and sharp glass

Rubble got tossed into piles and demolished first, the floors finally being free of all the rocks and sharp glass. It was a small step but something nonetheless. Sirius Black had worked the hardest spending more hours out there clearing the grounds then anyone.

Lyndy sat on one of the rubble piles beside him with her book something she had started to do more often the more days he stayed here.

"How come your always so sad?" Lyndy asked the man her expression turning curious.

"None of your business squirt."

"I'm not a squirt." Lyndy crossed her arms giving him a death glare. "You look all mopey all the time like you've lost something."

"If you must know I made a lot of mistakes and I'm trying to write those wrongs but I don't know how."

"So your shovelling rocks?" She raised a brow at him causing Sirius to chuckle.

"What is with you and judging me?" Sirius dropped the shovel and put his hands on his hips.

"I'm not judging just asking questions."

"Has anyone told you that your a smart seven and a half year old?"

Lyndy smiled as she closed her book, "only you."

"Come on," Sirius picked up the girl never letting her walk on the rubble and glass, "let's get lunch." He carried her all the way inside to the now clear halls but when he want to put Lyndy down she held on tighter claiming her legs were too tired.

"Have you ever been in love?"

"Why do I have to answer all your questions and I never get to ask you?"

"Because. . . Now whooooo?"

"His name was Remus Lupin."

"Was?"

"I screwed it up. Didn't trust him."

"Why not?"

Sirius put her on the bench and kicked one leg over to look at her as he poured coffee into a mug. "My whole life I could never trust anyone, I was never loved, my mum and dad where physically abusive as well as emotionally and that screwed me up. When I found out my brother died all their words came back to me and I couldn't find my way back. I lost trust in everyone, treated two people who always loved me and treated me as a son, horrible and developed a drinking problem, that's why I'm fixing Hogwarts and shovelling rubble."

"You believe this is something you can fix when you can't fix anything else?"

Sirius nodded sipping his coffee.

"I call bullshit."

"Language young lady!"

"Sorry." Lyndy smirked. "But it is. . . Bullshit I mean. If they ever really loved you they would except you, even at your worst. Did you ever even try?"

"I think that's enough questions for today, I'll take you too class."

"Oh, come on, I'm on a class with a bunch of little kids who are still learning how to add and reading Dr. Seuss. I read advanced books and can already do times tables, can I please stay with you today?"

"We have to ask Minnie first."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not your dad Lyndy, I don't call the shots."

"Yeah, well I don't have a dad or mom or any family so you might as well."

"We're asking Minnie." And they did, the two walked into the class and Sirius went over to Minnie a nervous butterfly flying around inside his stomach.

"Hey Min, is it okay if I take Lyndy to Diagon Alley? She really wants to go and she's really smart, your classes ain't doing shit." Minnie raised a brow making Sirius apologize.

"I would say yes but Sirius, she's a child and if she gets hurt or you forget her, no one will go out looking for her. I would love to say I would but I have over sixty children to take care of, I can't leave them in order to find one, that's why they all stay here."

"I know and I promise that I will protect her with my life."

Minnie looked to the man and shook her head, "don't make me regret this, I want you both back by night fall and a report from her on her adventure."

"Sounds brilliant Min, love you." He kissed her cheek and turned around giving Lyndy the thumbs up and she threw her arms in the air causing them to cheer before running out of the class.

A day out, what could go wrong?

How are you all liking this story? Lmk.

Hope you liked it!!!