Chapter 53

To say there were a lot of presents was an understatement. Colored boxes with sparkling bows plastered on were littered under the Christmas tree and all around the room. I nearly slipped on the hardwood as I raced to see them up close. I pinched a tag between my fingers and recognized my name in cursive on the biggest one.

"AHHHH!" I squealed in excitement before remembering myself. I threw my hands over my mouth, but the damage was done.

"Maya?" I heard a voice croak from upstairs.

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath, wondering whether I should hide or make a break for it. Before I could duck behind the tree, Damon came walking down the stairs, pushing his hair back from his face. The back stuck up despite his best efforts, making him look like some kind of exotic bird. He switched from sleepy to serious as he checked his phone and raised an eyebrow at me.

"What are you doing down here before 7?" he asked.

"Dominic said I could!" I told him, looking upstairs and back at him, attempting to look innocent. I was innocent but with his light eyes scanning my expression, I didn't feel it.

"Did he?" he asked slowly, to see if I was lying. His brow quirked into its signature malevolent position. I tried to suppress the automatic butterflies. I wasn't lying!

"He did," I promised, trying to maintain eye contact evenly. I let out a breath when his posture relaxed and he turned to the Christmas tree because I knew I was safe.

"Hmm..." he said, but I could tell he believed me. He raised an arm and said, "Come here." 

I walked over to him hesitantly and slipped under his arm, smiling just slightly.

"You want to get started on breakfast with me, or do you want to nap for a little and I'll wake you up at 7?" he asked, walking us back towards the stairs and the kitchen.

I shook my head. "No sleep," I replied quickly. He looked curious about that so I answered his question before he could ask it. "Nightmares." 

He pursed his lips and his eyes rolled up as he thought about that.

"Want to try one more time? So that you're not tired tonight?" he suggested, motioning his head to the stairs.

I crossed my arms and slumped, thinking about it.

"Can I just make breakfast with you?" I finally asked, giving him my puppy eyes. He smirked at my attempt and began heading to the kitchen without another word. 

"Follow me," he announced over his shoulder. I scurried behind him and jumped onto the counter as he began pulling out a mixing bowl and spatula. I was watching my feet as they kicked away from the counter and back until I heard Damon clear his throat. I looked up and froze as I realized he had been watching me.

"Aren't you supposed to be helping me?" he asked, with an expression of bemusement.

"I am helping! I'll talk to you and listen and do all the fun parts like stirring all the ingredients together and licking the spoon!" I said honestly, as he grabbed ingredients from the pantry.

"Why do we keep you around again?" he asked, feigning ignorance.

"Oh, shut up, you love me," I said, before nearly choking on my own words. That was the kind of thing I could say to the others, but not Damon. I blushed a little and watched as he continued to work with a small grin. I changed the subject quickly, silently pleased that he hadn't argued with me.